How to Celebrate International Women’s Day in Dublin

Maisie Greener breaks down the best ways to spend the holiday on March 8th.

Maisie GreenerAssistant Radius Editor
Photo by Jasmin Grace via @honeypot_club on Instagram

Since 1975, March 8th has been formally recognised as International Women’s Day. Equal parts a celebration and a protest, the occasion annually invokes empowerment, advocacy and calls for change. However, this Friday has dual significance in the Irish calendar. Irish citizens will be asked to vote in two referendums to change the Constitution, concerning the notions of family and caregivers. Women’s Aid Ireland have described voting ‘Yes/Yes’ as a “chance to update the Constitution, bring it in line with the lives of families, women, and people today and give direction to the future of our country”, hence this year’s International Women’s Day is of acute importance to the population. Accompanying the opportunity to contribute to tangible, legislative change are a host of events to toast the immense progress that has already been made and persists to be made. Here are five of the best: 

International Women’s Day Pop-In Display, National Gallery of Ireland

Facilitated by the gallery’s Library & Archives team, visitors are invited to a specially selected pop-up exhibit to spotlight women artists’ contributions to visual arts. Works by esteemed artistic alumni such as Rose Barton and Anne Yeats are positioned alongside contemporary artists’ books. With women historically sidelined from mainstream versions of art history, the display signifies a necessary attempt at amendment. The display is open from 2pm to 4pm at the National Gallery of Ireland and is free of charge.

International Women’s Day, IMMA

Another artistic offering, this time courtesy of IMMA. Bookended by mindfulness exercises, IMMA’s IWD schedule includes an eco walk through the gallery’s formal gardens, a tutorial on how natural Oak Gall ink is made, alongside a history on the ancient craft, and a guided tour of the exhibition Self-Determination: A Global Perspective. The day endeavours to champion the best of women’s modern and contemporary art. The events start at 10am at IMMA and is free of charge.

Honeypot: International Women’s Day Celebration, Pawn Shop Dublin

Honeypot needs no introduction to the essence of International Women’s Day. Ever the proponents of inclusivity and safety for women and marginalised genders, their IWD party will be no exception. Whatever your clubbing prerogative – techno or house – Honeypot’s lineup promises something for everyone. The event, however, is 21+. The event runs from 11pm to 3am at Pawn Shop Dublin and is free of charge.

The Girl’s Room IWD, Workman’s Cellar

Boasting a stacked line up of DJs Onai and Big Cheeks B2B and Kayleigh Noble, this Workman’s Cellar takeover is not to be missed. No strangers to self-expression and community, The Girl’s Room welcomes women and nonbinary partygoers with open arms to let down their hair this International Women’s Day. The event runs from 11.30pm to 3am at the Workman’s Cellar. Tickets are available to purchase on Eventbrite.

The Gal Pal Collective ‘Directed by Her’ Festival

‘Directed by Her’ is a four day festival this International Women’s Month, celebrating women in Irish filmmaking. The festival’s expansion after last year’s iteration is testament to Gal Pal Collective’s efforts and executions, and evidences the public demand for women’s involvement in the Irish film industry to be adequately recognised. Events range from workshops by professionals to screenings of independent short films. The festival runs on March 9th, 10th, 11th and 19th.