Ah go on, have a go

On Saturday August 8th Trinity GAA in conjunction with Clanna Gael GAA hosted an extremely successful coaching initiative.  As part of Clanna Gael’s club day Trinity GAA offered an introductory GAA course to participants from all over the world.

The course was free to all and this resulted in a turnout of close to 200 people from all over the world.  A huge array of nationalities took part in the day’s events including people from Algeria, Brazil, China, France, Italy, Poland, and Pakistan.

The event was fully supported by Croke Park authorities and in particular Tony Wattene who is the GAA Inclusion officer.  As part of the GAA’s inclusion and integration strategy, the GAA is organising “Have a Go” days all across the country with the specific aim of increasing awareness and participation amongst the sizeable population of immigrants currently living in Ireland.

We had some of Ireland’s top coaches helping us out on the day.  Expert hurling coaches Paudie Butler/George O Connor looked after the Hurling and Camogie.  Dublin Camogie Star Ciara Lucey was also present on the day helping out.  Many from Trinity’s hurling club also helped out on the day.

Brian Talty current Trinity Gaelic football coach co-ordinated the Gaelic football with help from Trinity students, and representatives of the Ladies Gaelic Football association.

We also had Rounders on offer to participants on the day and this also proved highly popular.  To complete the day’s activities we had a fantastic exhibition of the Brazilian Martial Art/Dance from a group from a Dublin based Capoeira club.
Because of the uniqueness of the event the national media were interested in the event with the event featuring in the Irish times page 11, August 10. RTE television cameras were also present and Nationwide will feature the day’s activities in the near future.

From Trinity GAA’s perspective we certainly got some good publicity for our club.  Secondly the event also gave good publicity to Clanna Gael GAA, a club with whom we have a very good relationship. Trinity GAA teams regularly use Clanna Gael’s facilities during the Season. Also As part of the Trinity Access Programme (TAP) GAA players give tuition to Junior Cert students from the Clanna Gael club during the academic term.