Creating our own history

It is a daunting place to stand–the start of a legacy. You are reading what we hope will be the first of many issues, in many years and many generations of The University Times. We look into the future hoping that what we desire for this paper will hold true for every issue that follows.

This paper espouses the most important principle of all great newspapers; freedom of speech. Know this; what is said between these pages is free and fair. It is unbiased. The University Times should always stand for allowing the unhindered exchange of ideas between its peers in the College; it is only through public and open debate that we can be assured of the truth.

We allow good ideas to defeat the bad, lies to see the truth. There is nothing wrong with printing an idea to which one does not agree; it is the test of a great idea to survive when confronted with another idea. When Napoleon said ‘I fear the newspapers more than a hundred thousand bayonets’ he was not afraid of paper cuts or getting ink on his hands. Rather, he knew that a free press could hold him accountable for his actions.

Any measure that attempts to impose a chilling effect on the immutable right of a newspaper to print what it is right to print is failing to protect the members of this College. This paper stands for its right to say just as much as it stands for your right to hear.

Let this stone stay where it has been laid, we should not move it; it is a principle that will ultimately give more than it will take.