John and Edward finally leave the X Factor

In a week that has come to be defined by disappointments to Ireland’s already fragile ego, the dynamic duo colloquially known as Jedward left The X Factor on Saturday night.

John and Edward are eighteen year old twins from Lucan who shot to fame in Britain and Ireland after auditioning for The X Factor and graduating through the audition rounds to the live finals.

Mentored by Irish pop supremo Louis Walsh, the pair were among the last six acts in the competition. Their appearances were marred by controversy as they were accused of being ‘talentless’; even Cheryl Cole stating on one night that the pair “can’t sing. Fact!”

Despite this, Jedward garnered a huge and loyal fanbase that loved them for their energetic performances and sense of fun. John and Edward were voted off the ITV show on Sunday night after finding themselves in the sing-off with favourite Olly Murs. It’s not all bad news for the twins themselves however.

The Daily Mail reports that a string of deals are already being set up which will see the pair back on our TV screens. Unconfirmed rumours of a £2 million contract have been circulating and one TV exec has apparently dubbed them “the next Ant and Dec.”

Love them or loath them, it would appear that Jedward won’t be disappearing from our collective cultural consciousness just yet. Watch this space.