Fantasy Rugby World Cup Preview

The Webb-Ellis Trophy, a lesser prize than the bragging rights of all of Trinity.

Jack Leahy

Sports Editor: @Jack_Leahy

That’s right kids; the University Times Fantasy Rugby World Cup launches tomorrow evening. Just to keep you interested, I’m going to go through a few ‘do’s and ‘don’t’s.

DO

Pick Australian backs. You’d be mad not to. Rarely has so quick, powerful, and potent a group of young men represented the cause of one nation. Matt Giteau, the world’s highest-paid player as recently as 2007, couldn’t even get near this group.

Quade Cooper: Impressive.

DON’T 

Be ambitious with Irish players. I mean, let’s face it: while there may be a few surprises in the 30-man squad, about 12 of the starting 15 for the big games have already been chosen. Fringe players are unlikely to get too much of a run-out in a traditionally settled side.

DO

Back James Hook. When Hook plays well, Wales play well. And Hook plays well quite regularly these days. The most important player in the Welsh team.

DON’T 

Pick a Tongan or Fijian forward. With a few exceptions, the two sides are bringing inexperienced forwards plying their trade in the lower divisions of France, New Zealand and England.

DO 

Pick pacy wingers. We don’t see too many length-of-the-pitch tries nowadays, but that’s because we only ask Namibian farmers to take on Bryan Habana once every four years. The enormous gulf in class between the tiers should allow wingers to fill their boots in the group stages.

Expect more of the same

DON’T

Pick a Russian, if you can avoid it. With the exception of Northampton’s Vasily Artemiev, who famously beat Gonzaga College on his own in the 2003 Junior Cup final as a Blackrock player, there’s not a single player of quality in there. And that’s even pushing it.

DO
Pick Egbertus O’Callaghan, Namibia’s hooker. Awesome, awesome name.

DON’T 

Pick an Aussie front-five. Y’know that stereotype that dictates that Australia are usually weakest in the scrum? It’s not a stereotype; it’s reality. Not likely to be tested by Ireland, but could get a real shock when they come up against the brawny Italians.

DO

Consider Chris Ashton, even if every fibre of your being screams the opposite. Not the most likeable character, but he could have written every coaching manual on wing-play ever written. Class act.

That wasn't in the manual, though...

DON’T

Write off South Africa or England. The two most recent champions are filled with quality, and capable of beating anyone on their day. Both could feature until at least the semi-final, with South Africa’s front eight and England’s free-scoring backs the respective impetuses.

DO 

Pick a French scrum-half. Morgan Parra will get the nod over Dimitri Yachvili for the big ones, but the place-kicking nines will contribute more to the scoreboard than any other single-digit half-backs in the competition.

DON’T 

Forget that Scott LaValla comes with a (x3) bonus. He’ll most likely feature from the bench four times, meaning you’re guaranteed 36 points for having last year’s Trinity captain in your side if he does.