UT Sports Player of the Month: Patrick Lavelle

Paddy clears his lines in DUFC's All-Ireland defeat to Bective, Photo by Ben McQuillan

Dublin University Rugby Football Club centre Patrick Lavelle is this month’s University Times Sports Player of the Month after a move from the back row to the backline produced a series of impressive performances for the senior team.

Lavelle, 19, started his rugby career as a front-row and flanker in schools rugby before the DUFC coaching staff decided this summer to maximise his ball-carrying skills at inside centre.

The conversion has been largely successful, with the judging panel in agreement that Lavelle’s pace and defensive qualities have stood up the the test of back play. His performance in DUFC’s Freshers’ Week victory over Cambridge was widely praised by College sports media, and he consistently made vital ground in his side’s most recent clash with Bective last Friday night.

Speaking to The University Times, Lavelle hailed the honour as ‘A great win for men who are wider than they are tall’.

‘Seriously though’, he added, ‘the older lads have just told me exactly what to do and babied me along, they made my job very easy altogether’.

‘A special mention to Rob Cruess Callaghan who started the season at 12; he thought me all the moves and stuff and has kept me on my toes’.

To nominate yourself or a member of your club for the feature – which will appear both on the website and in the broadsheet – send your suggestions to [email protected]