Trinity Come Dancing: Eight Reasons Why

Shona McGarry | Societies Editor

Now that we’ve met the dashing celebrities, it’s time to take a look at what kind of situation they’ve really gotten themselves into. What can we expect from next Wednesday’s event? Samuel Verbi, PRO of DU Dance, lends a hand with these eight delectable reasons why we should all tag along to this sparkly dance-off.

1. Do It For Your Mum

Face it. As Samuel says, ‘Strictly Come Dancing is a much-loved show.’ He also notes that while a lot of the student population enjoy it, everyone’s mum does. So make her proud and spend a Wednesday night doing something that she’d enjoy. Heck, even bring her along! (Note: this idea is not endorsed by anyone in DU Dance/anyone besides me.)

2. Do It For The Quality Control

Who needs standards when you’ve got personality? Not us, anyway. Hilarious training videos, courtesy of Trinity TV, will be shown on the big screen, and who doesn’t want to see people making ‘legends (or fools) of themselves’ in front of hundreds of people?

3. Do It For The Fashion

Regardless of the dancing standards, you can be sure that the fleet-footed are going to look fabulous, thanks to DU Fashion Soc. Even former face of Trinity Rugby, Dominic Gallagher, had a ‘look of delight’ on his face when presented with his ballet outfit.

4. Do It For The Dancers

Can’t nab a ticket to (what some would call) the ‘real’ Strictly Come Dancing? Never fear, with Trinity Come Dancing, ‘you get to go to what will be a very similar evening – but instead of strangers,’ (and by strangers he means C-list celebrities) ‘you are surrounded by people you know.’ (i.e. non-celebrities). It’s the perfect situation.

5. Do It For The DJs

Do you like the music from Strictly? Of course you do. Do you like Fish Soc DJs? Who doesn’t. Now, imagine if the two were, somehow, combined.
Dreams can come true.

6. Do It For The Comedy

Hosts Joseph O’Gorman and Kate Finegan will present with ‘biting satire’. Ronan Hodson, one of the judges is the ‘Craig’ of the four. (‘Craig’ is, apparently, the harsh one.) Comedian Aaron Heffernan is on hand to keep the laughs coming. And, not to mention, the behind-the-scenes videos of Cabbage getting to grips with Hip-Hop.

7. Do It For The Charity

‘All proceeds go to Cancer Soc.’ Need I say more.

8. Do It For Yourself

Sometimes the fact that you can’t make an impact on award ceremonies really drags. Well, you get to combine your own vote with the judges’ on Wednesday. See, you can make an impact on the world.

Whatever your reason, Trinity Come Dancing is bound to be a ‘unique and exciting’ event that brings Fish Soc, DUPA, DU Dance, Trinity TV, Fashion Soc, and Cancer Soc together.
And everyone knows that if they can’t host a party, then there’s just no hope for humanity.

Tickets for Trinity Come Dancing are €12 and go on sale Thursday 17th January, from 12-3pm in the Arts Block. Trinity Come Dancing takes place in the Button Factory on Wednesday 23rd January at 8pm. All proceeds go to the Cancer Soc Charity, and the winner gets ‘Trinity’s First Ever ‘Glitter Ball’ Trophy’. That is important.