Trinity Student to Contest Major Ógra Position

A former chair of Trinity’s Politics Society will contest the position of Policy and Campaigns Officer at the Ógra Fianna Fáil National Youth Conference next month.

Catherine O’Callaghan | Senior Staff Writer

John Keating, a final-year student of Business, Economics and Social Studies, has announced that he will be contesting a major position in Ógra Fianna Fáil. Keating, last year’s chairperson of the Politics Society, will contest the position of Policy and Campaigns officer at next month’s National Youth Conference.

Keating told The University Times: “Ultimately I decided to run for Ógra’s Policy and Campaigns officer as I felt that the organisation has to transform this office from one which dictates Ógra policy to members to one which facilitates member-driven policy.” In his initial Facebook post announcing his intention, and in speaking to The University Times, Keating outlined the main ways in which he plans to improve Ógra Policy and Campaign structure. These included empowering Cumainn – local branches – to give them the ability to turn ideas into policies and campaigns, reaching out to groups who specialise in youth issues in order to incorporate their expertise into Ógra campaigns and, according to Keating, “thereby improve the likelihood of successful policy interpretation.”

Keating also stated that he believes in consolidating what Ógra stands for with an easily accessible policy book: “I firmly believe that Ógra as a political movement needs to consolidate what we stand for.”

“Too often there is confusion over our official stance on a number of key policy areas and ultimately I believe this hurts recruitment and leads to friction within the organisation. Such a move will create debate, but this is not something to be purposely avoided as debate and engagement on the values of Ógra will ensure that our official policy will be able to adapt, in real time, to the values of Ógra members.”

The Policy and Campaigns officer sits on Ógra’s Central Officer Board, which is responsible for running the organisation. Ógra Fianna Fáil was founded in 1975 as the youth wing of Fianna Fáil, The Republican Party. Membership is open to anyone between the ages of 16 and 30, either in higher education institutions or in any constituency around the island of Ireland.

Keating has served on staff for The University Times, previously co-directing the groundbreaking 1,131-person poll during The Leadership Race last February, which accurately predicted the results of each sabbatical officer race.

Elections for Officer Positions are held at the National Youth Conference, taking place this year on the 7th and 8th November in Clane, Co. Kildare.