How Does Irish University Sporting Culture Compare to Opportunities Abroad?

Sports culture is a vital aspect of university life in Ireland. But how do other European universities match up in encouraging student participation in sport?

Jonathan FischerContributing Writer
"The culture within French universities concerning sports is comparable to that in Trinity, which is of course ideal if you are going there on your Erasmus."

Sports culture is a vital aspect of university life in Ireland. In fact, it is at the core of the college experience for many students studying in English-speaking countries. In the US, college is a way for many people to break into professional sports, especially American football. The intervarsity leagues are incredibly popular among college students and they also attract fans and spectators from the local towns and cities. The National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) is responsible for the intervarsity American Football and Basketball leagues in the US. In 2015 alone they brought in a grand total of $912 million. But college sport isn’t just popular amongst players and spectators of the sport, it is also a popular concept in pop culture. The idea of sports culture in America is often dramatised in Hollywood movies. Take the story of Troy from High School Musical for example: A boy whose father puts immense pressure on him to perform well in basketball so that he can get a scholarship for university. There are many other famous movies and TV series in which there are similar plotlines, and it is a testament to the value put on sport in the American education system.

In Britain, sport is similarly important in universities. The intervarsity hockey games are so popular that they often fill large stadiums. When St Andrew’s play against the University of Edinburgh, the match takes place in the national stadium of Scotland. Support for the teams is immense and it can seem as if every student of the university cares for the outcome of the games. College sports are competitive with a wide range of sports available to be played at a high level. Playing a sport for your college gives you a sense of identity and pride. It feels like a privilege to be considered worthy of carrying the name of your university in a competition of physical ability.

In Irish universities, this is no different. Of course, the fact that Ireland has a small population impacts the scale of the intervarsity leagues; yet it doesn’t limit their importance amongst students. During Freshers’ Week, Trinity’s Front Square is packed with society stands, and quite a large percentage of these are sports clubs. It is easy to imagine that University College Dublin (UCD) and Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) are not much different. The range of sports you can get involved in is enormous, from ultimate frisbee to soccer, pool to powerlifting, and American football to GAA the choice appears neverending. Joining sports clubs, competing in intervarsity competitions, going to see your college team play, among a myriad of other related activities, is a part of life in Irish universities. And if you don’t feel up to the competition of the big leagues just yet, there are multiple internal five-a-side leagues, a gym and tonnes of other facilities available for more casual sports.

Therefore, as an Irish student, going abroad to Britain or America means that you will have similar opportunities to get involved in sports in the college you are attending. There will be many opportunities to join a team, and just like in Ireland, most colleges will have sports facilities ready and available. This sports culture does not seem to be common in all universities in Europe however.

The trend in German colleges appears to be that there are few to no sports teams or clubs within colleges. And if there are, they tend to be more casual and only compete within the university. Most bigger universities, such as Munich and Freiburg, have a certain amount of sports facilities on campus yet there appears to be a “large demand for an increase of facilities among students”, according to Daniel Broderick, a Trinity student on Erasmus in Freiburg, speaking to The University Times. Universities in Germany tend to have gyms, table-tennis tables and other facilities for casual sports. But if you’re looking to play at a competitive level, you would be better off searching for sports clubs outside college. While universities in Germany do not engage in intervarsity competitions, German cities tend to have an abundance of clubs for almost all sports. Because sports are not linked with the university, it is unlikely the college will provide you with much help in the way of getting involved in sports. However, most students do engage in a sport externally, on both casual and competitive levels. Kevin Fitzpatrick, on Erasmus studying law with german in Munich, trains with local soccer club TSV Grobßhadern 1926 and couldn’t help but notice that his teammates were amazingly well equipped in comparison to home. Speaking to The University Times, he said: “Everyone has every single bit of equipment, gloves, hats, leggings, snoods…and perfect haircuts.” Fitzpatrick did raise one issue that may be a major stumbling block for those looking to play soccer for a club abroad. In Germany, clubs insist you obtain Fifa clearance before they’ll play you in league and cup games. So if you’re looking to play competitively, try to contact your chosen club well in advance of your move to avoid a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Soccer is of course one of the most popular sports in Germany but there are many other options available at club level in German cities. Basketball, tennis and table-tennis are very popular choices. Surprisingly, American football is on the rise in Germany and it is quite easy to find a club and get involved. The only sports from home you might have trouble finding a club for are rugby and, inevitably, GAA.

In Italy, the availability of sports in universities seems to be similar to Germany. There aren’t many student societies in Italian universities, so you do not receive a lot of help from the college to get involved with social activities. There are many sports classes available such as martial arts or basketball, yet these are more for casual practice rather than competitive sport. Sadly, the lack of student societies means that information about these classes is not readily available. But again, like in Germany, it is easy to find a competitive club for your sport in Italy. There are numerous sporting facilities available in Italian cities and most students are involved in some sort of a sport. There are also gyms available on most campuses. While competitive university sports are not of importance in countries like Italy and Germany, most students do value fitness. There is no lack of enthusiasm for sport, but the outlet for this enthusiasm is to be found elsewhere. As a visiting student, the initial task of getting involved in sports may seem daunting and overwhelming, what with being forced to venture outside the university to do so, yet it easier than it seems to find the right sports team for you.

When it comes to sport, universities in France have much the same model as Ireland. There are sports teams within the universities and they play intervarsity competitions. The amount of sports available seems to differ depending on the size of the university. Sports such as football and basketball are available in almost all colleges. The sense of pride and prestige in representing your college is the same in France as it is in Ireland, and traveling to compete against other universities is also a great opportunity to see more of the country. Speaking to The University Times, Cian Cooney, who is on Erasmus in Paris, said that with sport you can travel to cities such as Lille and Bordeaux in order to compete against universities there. Significantly, the fact that sports are played within the university means you are more likely to get help and advice from the college when joining a sport. The culture within French universities concerning sports is comparable to that in Trinity, which is of course ideal if you are going there on your Erasmus.

While the social aspect of sports is different in universities abroad from that in Ireland, the standard of sport is often equal, if not higher than in Ireland. Countries such as Italy, France and Germany are world leaders in football and other sport. So even though the sporting experience may be altered in your year abroad, your athletic progress will not be impeded.