High Hopes, as Ents asks Students to Explore the Urban Jungle

Following a successful Freshers' Week, Ents will be hoping for a hit with the Meeting House Square gig.

Andrew ConnollyDeputy Music Editor

Trinity Ents’ first event following a successful Freshers’ Week, “Meeting House Square: Urban Jungle”, aims to keep the momentum going. Hosted in Meeting House Sq, Temple Bar, a first time, prime venue for Ents, the upcoming event has the potential to be one of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer Jonah Craig’s term-defining events.

Speaking to The University Times last week, Craig noted how important large, unique events can be to student life in Trinity. Usually reserved for evening cultural events that lean towards the more refined, the square is now ready to open its doors to college students, offering a literal breath of fresh air for those who want to move away from the usual club nights on offer.

Should Urban Jungle go well, it’s possible we may see Meeting House Sq become a haunt for Ents nights to come. Running from 7pm to 11pm due to licensing, Urban Jungle will move on from the square to the nearby Button Factory to close out the night. Enjoy your upmarket surroundings while you can – you’re being blessed with that (potentially final) opportunity.

Roping together the talents of DU Players and Trinity Fashion Society, Ents hope to transform the square into a psychedelic tropic in the heart of Dublin’s urban cultural quarters. It seems Craig is so far keeping to his promise of broad society engagement in the running of Ents events, with neither of these societies involved in large scale Freshers’ Week events with Ents.

Music will be supplied courtesy of the Midnight Disco DJs and Trinity Orchestra, with electro-instrumental DJ Daithí serving as the main pull for many. A variety of tunes are on the table: Daithí’s Irish twist on techno, to the Midnight Disco’s DJs’ classic house bangers. Urban Jungle also has the pleasure of having the orchestra showcase their new set – timely centred around the songs of the Red Hot Chili Peppers – for the first time in front of a Trinity crowd.

This scope of sounds on offer, amid the exclusive surroundings of the Meeting House Sq, further exemplify Craig’s vision of unique nights to remember. It’s an unconventional night out that is not to be missed by those who like a bit of jungle fever in their social lives.

Tickets are on-sale in the Arts block, 11am-2pm, €15 each.