Speaking With: Jonah Craig, Ents Officer

Craig promises brand new venues, collaborations and good times all round.

Saoirse Ní ScanláinMusic Editor

The Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Entertainments Officer is arguably one of the most important individuals on campus, at the heart of student life. With the power to create and design the annual landscape of events, parties and more, the role of Ents officer comes not only with a great deal of responsibility but places the office holder in the Trinity public eye, from Goldsmith to House Six. Week in, week out, the incumbent must keep students entertained and engaged, with the potential to go down in campus history – hopefully, for the better.

This year brings us former JCR Ents Officer and Ents Committee veteran, Jonah Craig. With an impressive repertoire of college events under his belt, expectations are high. I had the chance to sit down with Craig in the run up to Freshers’ Week to hear about his plans and to learn what we can expect from him during the semester. Having sought some guidance from his predecessors Katie Cogan and Padraic Rowley, Craig appears organised.

A former JCR Ents Officer, his year in Trinity Hall demonstrated Craig’s ability to build up a good relationship with venues. Maintaining positive relations with contacts across the city is central to the success of a good Ents Officer and Craig has actively sought to achieve this. Keeping societies involved was important to Craig during Freshers’ Week. It is something he wishes to continue throughout the year. Teaming up with Trinity Law Society, An Cumann Gaelach, Surf Society, Dublin University DJ Society (DUDJ), DU Amnesty and more, Freshers’ Week offered a broad scope of events.

I remember an event in Powerscourt House, it was so unique. It’s that kind of stuff people don’t forget

With each new Ents Officer comes the demand for new and different events, which for Craig appears to be less of a challenge and more of an opportunity: “We have some really big things planned, some stuff we have never done before. I remember an event in Powerscourt House, it was so unique. It’s that kind of stuff people don’t forget. I actually managed to book Meeting House Square for an event after Freshers’ Week. There are logistical things with the venue that are difficult but it’s going well.”

Renowned for its difficulty to nab, Craig is the first Ents Officer to bring an event to the square, but only time will tell if his effort pays off. “The night will open with the Trinity Orchestra and I have Daithí booked with that also.” “I have another similar event on the cards for later in October”, he adds. Craig is also bringing back the club night that Cogan started, Notorious, with NCAD. With scant outlets for hip-hop and R&B in Dublin, the return of this urban-esque club night is surely welcome, and will hopefully bring some necessary diversity to the Trinity event scene, which often finds itself stuck between charts hits or electronic music. Craig says: “It’s a real niche kind of night, there’s no other club night like it in Dublin. It should bring people together. NCAD are on the same page as us with that.”

However, Craig remains keen to put his own stamp on events throughout the year. “Some of the best events I remember are ones that were in unconventional venues. If I just ran another year with just club nights, it’d be another year without much of a signature. Not very many people do it, it takes a lot more effort to try something different but it’s one of the main things I want to do and what I want people to remember.”

It’s a real niche kind of night, there’s no other club night like it in Dublin

Possibly the greatest challenge faced by an Ents Officer is keeping college events accessible to all. Craig explains how he aims to approach this issue: “[TCDSU] run a number of campaign weeks and Ents wants to be really involved with them this year. Kevin [Keane] is running empowerment week – so one approach is to coordinate our events with those. Those weeks are for getting students engaged more. If one event doesn’t suit you, there will always be something else. We have something cool lined up for Rainbow Week. Also, we want to organise pre-event meet ups before Ents events, to try and include more people. Say, there might be one out in Rathmines, one in Phibsborough, etc. So, if you live there, you can meet your local community out there.”

I ask Craig how he intends to get older students on campus involved with Ents. “We’re actually hoping to run a kind of comedy festival this year that I hope will attract some of the older students. I’m really looking forward to that. I know the club nights don’t always excite the [older students] as much”, he says.

Not wanting to ruin the grand surprise, Craig finished with the promise of great things to come. Thus far living up to the heady promises of his campaign, for now we can trust that Craig will bring us a year of good times.