Five of the Best: Barmbrack in Dublin

The five best places in Dublin to sample everyone's favourite autumnal treat.

Lorna Reid and Ciara Haley

Barmbrack, or bairín braic, is a classic autumnal treat. Often confused with tea brack, a barmbrack is made with yeast while tea brack is made completely differently. The best barmbrack should have a bread-like texture and be speckled with dried fruit.

The Butler’s Pantry

This brack is quite similar to a traditional tea brack, and that is certainly not a bad thing in my book. A dense loaf, that is surprisingly rich, the crumb is moist and melts in the mouth. It retails at the slightly elevated price of €7.95, but the high-quality ingredients and the thrill of finding the ring hidden within is worth it.

Thunders Bakery

A family institution on the Dublin bakery scene, Thunders Bakery produces a top-notch barmbrack. Bringing my nose up to the loaf, I took in the sweet aroma of dried fruit. Slathered with a topping of butter and a cup of tea, it makes for a comforting midnight snack. The brack will only set you back €2.95 per loaf.

Hansel & Gretel Bakery, Dublin 2

A decidedly more traditional brack can be found in this cute little bakery. Here we find a tall, round loaf with a dark crust and a significantly drier consistency than the Butler Pantry’s version. I am told they are selling like hot cakes – at 1pm, I got my claws on the last remaining loaf. Pick up a loaf for a very decent €3.95. Unfortunately, you will not find a ring in this loaf, due to health and safety reasons.

The Firehouse Bakery, Delgany

Slightly further afield, but very worth the journey, is the Firehouse Bakery. The barmbracks there are specially made with an enriched brioche dough that is filled with fruits soaked in whiskey and earl grey. The dough is slowly fermented for a minimum of 12 hours. Once baked, they are finished off with a cinnamon sugar syrup. Each brack is sold for €4.50.

Green Door Bakery, Stoneybatter

Located along the mainstreet of Stoneybatter is the Green Door Bakery. There you will find a great stock of barmbrack loaves. The round loaf is cake-like in shape and made using a sweeter dough, with peel, dried fruits and heady spices. A very popular Halloween purchase, which you can buy for €4.95.