Science Gallery Hires Ann Mulrooney as New Director

The College and the gallery's board have appointed Ann Mulrooney, the former director of VISUAL contemporary arts centre in Carlow, to the role.

Donal MacNameeDeputy Editor
Ann Mulrooney is to be the new director of the Science Gallery.

The Science Gallery has a new director, after the appointment of Ann Mulrooney, the former director of VISUAL contemporary arts centre in Carlow, to the role.

Mulrooney takes up the position after being appointed by the College and the board of the Science Gallery. She replaces Lynn Scarff, who was appointed director of the National Museum of Ireland earlier this year.

Mulrooney will start her new job on December 1st. During her time at VISUAL, she was responsible for curating cross-disciplinary art programmes in STEM areas, including digital technologies, augmented reality and architecture.

In a press statement, Vice-Provost Chris Morash said: “Dedicated to igniting a passion for science and creativity, Science Gallery continues to engage young adults with cutting-edge culture and innovation.”

“We look forward to Ann’s stewardship in the next chapter of this wonderful initiative”, Morash said.

Mulrooney, who initially trained as a sculptor after graduating from the Crawford College of Art in Cork, said in a press statement that she was “delighted” to lead the Science Gallery “into its second decade”.

“The combination of scientific and artistic research with meaningful public engagement has enormous transformative potential and I look forward to working with Science Gallery’s national and international partners and stakeholders to realise this”, she added.

The Science Gallery first opened in 2008. Since then, the project, which focuses on providing programmes and experiences that allow visitors to participate and facilitate social connections, has spread to London, Venice, Melbourne, Detroit and Bengaluru.

Last year, Trinity’s Front Square hosted a display of pyrotechnics to celebrate the gallery’s 10th anniversary.