Government Announces Reopening Plans for Next Semester

The government today announced plans to reopen colleges next semester.

Emma TaggartSenior Editor

The government today announced reopening plans for the next semester of college, which include commitments from universities to provide all students with in-person learning.

“It is expected that the majority of the people over 18 in Ireland will have been vaccinated by September 2021, and so planning is proceeding on the basis that full resumption of on-site activity is possible”, the Department of Higher Education stated in the plans published today.

Under the reopening plan higher education institutions must commit to “ensuring that all learners across all areas have a significant scheduled period of on-site learning”.

As well as putting in place “appropriate provisions for vulnerable staff, students and learners who are medically unsuitable for vaccination in accordance with public health advice”.

The document states that it aims for higher education institutions to put in place measures to allow for the safe reopening of laboratory teaching and learning, classroom based teaching and learning, tutorials, smaller lectures, libraries alongside the operation of sports facilities, bars and clubs and societies in accordance with public health advice.

Larger lectures will also be reintroduced however these can only occur “within limits linked to reducing the size/capacity of very large lecture halls and adjustments to the timetable to reduce the number of people on site at any one time”.

The gradual resumption of on campus activity over the summer months is also included in the plan, among this is the phased return of research activity.

In a press statement, Chair of the Irish Universities Association and President of NUI Galway, Prof Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh, said that “the health and safety of our university communities has always been paramount in all our planning for education throughout the pandemic and universities are working closely with Government to ensure that focus is maintained”.

“By learning from the experiences of our students, our staff and our stakeholders, by listening to their voices and by adhering to the advice of our public health experts, our aim is for a return to a safe on-campus education which is as normal and fulfilling as possible in the context of Covid-19”, he added.

The Union of Students in Ireland also welcomed the publication of the reopening plan.

In a press statement, USI President Lorna Fitzpatrick said: “Students have told us they have been feeling very isolated and struggling with the lack of social interaction. They are extremely keen to get back on campus as soon as possible but know it must be in a safe manner.”

“They want to get back into classes, but they also want to have a holistic college experience and so the plan for an almost full re-opening, with public health safety measures, was very important to us.”

“We have been working with students, Students’ Unions, Government, institutions and others to give that as much chance as possible of happening. We are glad to have been involved in preparing this plan – which has been approved by public health leaders – as it aims to do just that”, she added.

This announcement comes after yesterday’s announcement that Trinity is to become one of four Irish universities piloting a coronavirus antigen testing programme over the summer, with the hopes that such tests can be widely used on college campuses for the next academic year.

It is hoped that the tests being piloted will be suitable for widespread use on college campuses to quickly identify cases of coronavirus, enabling universities to return to in-person teaching to some extent.

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris had said earlier in the year that rapid antigen testing would allow students to return to in-person activities after the summer.

At the time Harris also said that he is “determined to in line with that report to roll out a number of pilots across university campuses, college campuses and particularly in student accommodation”.