Five of the Best: Trinity-Based Publications

There is no doubt that there is a publication out there for everyone to enjoy and get involved in.

Ines Kennedy Assistant Literature Editor
Emer Moreau for The University Times

As new students are arriving at Trinity and old ones are returning, The University Times gathered five Trinity publications that the reader should accustom themselves with. Trinity publications available to students can be a thrilling world to enter, as both a contributor and a reader. After speaking with the editors and co-editors of each publication, we hope their ideas entice you to try them out!

The Piranha

The Piranha publication is campus’ satirical publication. Speaking with The University Times, co-editors Ellen Higgins and Hugh O’Leary noted that the Piranha has been “going strong for the past few years”, and that they are keen to continue this trend.

Higgins and O’Leary explained that the Piranha is “always looking to hear from new contributors”, and application links can be found on their social media pages. In terms of readership, both Higgins and O’Leary hope that with the post-pandemic surge of people coming onto campus this year their “print copies will be more visible”.

If humorous student journalism is up your alley then you will definitely find yourself gravitating towards the Piranha.

JoLT

The Trinity Journal of Literary Translation (JoLT) is dedicated to translating texts, so if you’re linguistically inclined, this is the one for you.there is no doubt that you will enjoy this journal if you are linguistically inclined.

Speaking with The University Times, editor Cian Dunne hopes to “foster the rekindling of old friendships, as well as the forging of new ones, through a shared appreciation of JoLT and literature in translation in a more general sense”. Two new editions will be released in the next year. Its eye-catching art also always intrigues readers to delve into its covers.

Icarus

Icarus is famed for its long list of talented editors and contributors among them include David Norris and Sebastian Barry. The talent displayed in Icarus is plain as day. But new readers and contributors shouldn’t be intimidated. Co-editors Gabrielle Fullam and Alex Mountfield are interested in “connecting a diverse range of literature and art by disparate people”.

Both Fullam and Mountfield understand that, “submitting work for publication can be scary, but their goal is to make that a lower hurdle by getting potential contributors involved socially before they have to commit artistically”. So what are you waiting for?

Trinity Film Review

If you love the screen and are eager to have your voice heard then Trinity Film Review might just be for you! Trinity Film Review allows student cinema lovers to critique all films. Editor Mia Sherry explains how Trinity Film Review how it “doesn’t matter if you are not a film student”, everyone can get involved. Trinity Film Review wants to, “give students a platform to share their opinions”. With an upcoming new print format Sherry emphasises that readers should get excited as the team plans to produce “two groundbreaking issues that have never been seen before”.

TN2 Magazine

TN2 magazine is a popular student-run publication that deals with topics from literature to sex and relationships, there is something for everyone. Speaking with The University Times, Ciara Connolly, Editor-in-Chief of TN2 said she was drawn to the publication due to the “creative freedom” that came with it.

TN2 is looking to incorporate fresh ideas with a new section called “Places” this year which will include insights on stories from international students and those studying abroad. They hope to expand their Gaeilge section this year too. So, If you’re looking to one-up your fellow Arts Block peers with your impressive repertoire of different opinions and experiences in arts and culture, you need not look no further.