An Cumann Gaelach Highly Critical of New College Logo

The group voiced their disapproval of the English language-only logo that has been provisionally approved.

Catherine O’Callaghan | Staff Writer

An Cumann Gaelach has voiced heavy criticism of the new Trinity logo presented to students for containing only the English Language in its default form, as opposed to the previously bilingual logo that has been used for many years.

A statement sent to all An Cumann Gaelach members and shared on Facebook explained that at an open forum for undergraduate students on April 2nd 2014, students were told that the default logo (crest and name) that would be considered and recognised as the predominant logo of Trinity College (The University of Dublin) would be in the English language only. They added: “A college, long been playfully made fun of as ‘An Coláiste Oráiste’ whose students have in recent years made unprecedented strides nationally at the forefront of the student Irish language movement is, seemingly, making moves to turn its back on those same students.”

The society suggested that the college had either recently reversed its policy or had been insincere when it had stated, “In relation to the Irish language, the Strategic Plan commits College to raising Trinity’s profile as a centre for academic and cultural activity in the Irish language.” The statement went on to say that it is of no interest to the society to represent Trinity at the upcoming Board of Irish College Societies awards in Belfast, if the college does not intend to represent them in its logo.  They explained: “Had we been aware of the college’s plans earlier, we would have not accepted the invitation.”

An Cumann Gaelach has asked all those in favour of including the Irish language as part of the logo on all college materials, publications and communications to attend an open forum being held for staff at students tomorrow at 11am in the Stanley Quek theatre in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute on Pearse Street.

Additional information: 

During the Town Hall meeting in the Stanley Quek theatre in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, newly elected Chair of the Cumann Gaelach, Fionn O’Dea, asked the Provost to confirm what language will be used in the default logo. In response, Secretary to the College, John Coman, confirmed that in accordance with Irish language regulations the default logo will be fully bilingual using both Irish and English.