First Four Acts of Trinity Ball Revealed

The Riptide Movement, Wilkinson and SG Lewis will be joined by assistant professor and Trinity FM regular Nick Johnson.

Gillian MurtaghRadius Editor

The Riptide Movement, Wilkinson, SG Lewis and Nick Johnson have been added to the line-up for Trinity Ball 2017, The University Times can now reveal. Headliners for the ball have still yet to be announced.

The Riptide Movement are a four-man rock band originally from Lucan, Dublin, comprising of vocalist Mal Tuohy, guitarist John Dalton, bassist and harmonica player Ger McGarry and drummer Gar Byrne. Their latest album, Ghosts, was released in October 2016, after being recorded in the US. The band are set to play the Olympia on March 17th after a string of German dates in February.

The Riptide Movement are renowned for the energy that they bring to their live sets, with hits such as “All Works Out” and “You and I” being consistently played with enthusiasm and passion. Their addition to the line-up follows an ongoing Trinity Ball tradition of including Irish acts on the bill.

After the success of last year’s line-up, which heavily featured electronic and dance acts, DJ and drum and bass music producer from London, Wilkinson has been added to this year’s line-up. In the wake of huge underground success with tracks such as “Tonight” and “Automatic”, Wilkinson released his debut album, Lazers Not Included, in 2013. In the past he has collaborated with the likes of Shannon Saunders, Gorgon City and René LaVice.

Wilkinson boasts the ability to attract mainstream attention to drum and bass music while staying true to the authenticity of the underground scene. “Flatline” with Wretch 32, the lead single from his second studio album, Hypnotic, was released in March 2016. After finishing a UK tour, Wilkinson will bring a much loved energy to the Trinity Ball dance floor that is sure to get everyone moving.

SG Lewis is a music producer and singer-songwriter from London who is set to bring the diversity of his sound to the ball stage. Lewis’s music channels sonic tones and instrumental elements, allowing them to contrast in a dynamic and engaging manner. The deep, soulful voices that feature present a unique fusion of R&B and house beats.

Lewis released his debut EP, Shivers, in 2013, which gained him recognition from the likes of Pharrell and Justin Timberlake. In his latest release, Yours, he continues to challenge the limitations of his sound. It is this boldness that will provide a glorious addition to the line-up on the night.

Nick Johnson is the final act to be revealed from the Trinity Ball line-up today. Johnson is a Trinity assistant professor in drama who broadcasts a weekly two-hour radio show on Trinity FM, entitled Plastic Soul, which he describes as “totally eclectic music” that is “theme led”.

Johnson will bring a live set of Plastic Soul to the Trinity Ball stage this year. It has been suggested that Johnson’s set will lean towards hip-hop, providing attendees of the ball with the opportunity to experience the unique and varied style of the highly capable DJ.

The diversity of the acts revealed today hints at a lineup that continues to move away from concentrating on one specific genre, as seen in last year’s headline acts of The Kooks, Gorgon City, All Tvvins and Stormzy. Combined with the addition of art installations to this year’s Trinity Ball, it can be said that the night promises to offer a wholly different experience than has been offered over the past number of years.

Trinity Ball will take place on Friday April 7th. Access to campus on the day of the ball will be available through Nassau St. Westland Row will also provide access from 9am in order to accommodate Luas works. Students are asked to take note that campus will close at an earlier time than previous years on the day of the ball. A full line-up of acts that will be performing at the ball will be released over the coming weeks.