Students Asked to Preserve Water, Amid Dublin Restrictions

Irish Water has announced restrictions on water in the Dublin area.

Ciaran Molloy Assistant News Editor
Dominic McGrath for The University Times

Estates and Facilities has appealed in an email to all students and faculty for the conservation of water usage on campus following last week’s extreme weather.

In the email, Estates and Facilities said “Irish Water is currently working to restore full water supply to customers by repairing resulting water leaks and pipe bursts”.

It was also noted that the water pressure will periodically be reduced by Irish Water as works continue.

Irish Water’s Managing Director Jerry Grant warned yesterday that restrictions on water supply will be put in place for the coming weeks, as well as reductions of water pressure. The measures are a result of a large number of leaks due to last week’s extreme weather, as well as increased usage.

The email also warned of the possibility of leaks and water pipes bursting on campus and asked that if students or staff did notice any issues to contact Estates and Facilities.

Yesterday, Provost Patrick Prendergast praised the response of Estates and Facilities to Storm Emma. Prendergast acknowledged the “many staff from Estates and Facilities and other parts of College made their way onto the campus to look after students and other residents despite the difficult conditions. I’m sure everybody agrees with me that their efforts are much appreciated”.

Trinity was closed due to snow from Wednesday, February 28th to Sunday, March 4th. During this time, Director of Public Affairs and Communications, Tom Molloy, said Estates and Facilities would “work to maintain essential services for residents”.