Two Arts Block Lecture Theatres to Be Open as Study Spaces

TCDSU has booked the Robert Emmett and Thomas Davis theatre for students to study in over the next two weeks.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor
Sergey Alifanov for The University Times

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has booked two Art Block lecture theatres for students to study in over the next two weeks in the lead-up to the first-ever set of College-wide Christmas exams.

The Thomas Davis and the Robert Emmett lecture theatres will be open for students to use both next week and during the exam week from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

The extra space will provide students an alternative to the library, where it can be difficult to find seats around exam time.

TCDSU has in the past worked to provide extra study spaces for students before summer exams and the scholarship exams in January due to overcrowding of the library.

A new academic year structure was introduced this year under the Trinity Education Project, ushering in the first-ever College-wide Christmas exams. Most students have both assessment deadlines and exams over the next two weeks, prompting “massive stress”.

Student engagement with societies and sports clubs has also taken a hit under the new year structure, with societies reporting fewer signups and low turnout at events, particularly towards the end of the term.