Trinity to Increase Numbers of Northern Irish Students

Provost wants to "build close links on this island between people from all backgrounds and traditions" with new NI feasibility scheme.

Samuel Riggs | Editor

TCD have announced their intention of tripling the number of students coming to the college from Northern Ireland using a new feasibility scheme. Trinity has announced that they hope to reach the target of 8% of the student body originating in Northern Ireland, or approximately 300 students, by September 2015.

The scheme looks to reduce the number of A levels needed to be admitted to Trinity – currently, for admittance, a student must have taken 4 A levels, something which only 1 in 8 students do in Northern Ireland. Under the scheme, only the student’s best 3 A levels will be taken in to account when deciding admission – a student must score at least one A and two B’s to be eligible for the scheme, however.

All courses are included in this scheme, excepting Medicine, due to HPAT requirements. A maximum of 3 places on each course will be set aside for those availing of the scheme, which has been praised by NI Minister for Education John O’Dowd, saying that it sets a precedent for other universities in the Republic of Ireland, and that he is “pleased that the necessity for applicants from the north to have 4 A levels is being relaxed, as this has been one of the main barriers in the past.”