Refreshers’ Fair, Glen Hansard and Trinity Herstory Salon: Your Week Ahead

The week will also see Zygimantas Pavilionis visit SOFIA and DUAMs host a Speed Friending session.

Grace MeagherDeputy Societies Editor
Andrew Murphy for The University Times

With the return to lectures after a Christmas break that was undoubtedly spent in hibernation, this week has an almost overwhelming amount of events to help you readjust to academic life. This evening, the Society for International Affairs (Sofia) will welcome Zygimantas Pavilionis, a widely experienced diplomat and former Lithuanian Ambassador to the US. Held in the College Historical Society’s (the Hist) Conversation Room at 6pm, he will discuss “Europe Ahead: NATO, the EU and Russia”. Being an outspoken critic of Russian military action, this talk should present a unique and well-informed perspective.

Tuesday will see Trinity Free Legal Advice Centre (Flac) and Trinity Global Developmental Society pairing up to host James Mehigan, a barrister who was part of the legal team that represented families at the Inquests of the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster. Mehigan will be discussing the background to the tragedy and the struggle the families experienced for justice.

Also on Tuesday, Dublin University Law Society (Law Soc) will be hosting their Born Again Maidens debating final in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB). Promising a battle of wits and words, the contemporary motion reads “This house believes that the greatest days of the USA are ahead of it”. With everything we read on the news currently suggesting the opposite, this should be a debate not to miss.

If you missed out on joining any societies or clubs last term, Wednesday will provide you the perfect opportunity to sign up with a Refreshers’ Fair in the Atrium from 2pm. Here, new students can get a taste of what Trinity’s society life has to offer, or returning students could take up a new extra-curricular as their new year’s resolution, which will hopefully not be abandoned within a week. Dublin University Alternative Music Society (Duams) are throwing a Speed Friending session in JW Sweetman’s this Wednesday with a musical twist, of course – a perfect evening for new members who may be searching for their “musical soulmates”.

Earlier on Wednesday will see the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) award their Gold Medal of Honorary Patronage to Glen Hansard, an illustrious musician and, as of more recently, an avid homelessness activist in Ireland who playing a prominent rule in Home Sweet Home’s campaign. Get to the GMB early for the 3pm address, as it is sure to fill up quickly.

Thursday’s events are more low-key, with Trinity Literary Society (Lit Soc) hosting their first Speakeasy of the Hilary Term. Join them in JW Sweetman’s to celebrate the submission of their essays along with some marvellous art and literature.

Friday will see a major collaboration between DU History, DU Gender Equality Society (Duges) and Global Developmental Society with Trinity Herstory Salon, a celebration of stories and achievements of women in Ireland and around the globe. Herstory is a new cultural movement that aims to tell the stories of Irish women, both from history and today. Aptly held on the day of Trump’s Inauguration, join them to support women and attest that women’s voices will not be silenced in spite of our current cold political climate.