Trinity GAA Will Hope to Bounce Back from Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cup Defeats

Trinity’s hurling team lost out to LIT in their Fitzgibbon Cup debut, before the senior footballers fell to NUIG the following day in the Sigerson Cup.

Cormac Watson and Matthew Murphy

Hard work, talent and passion have helped propel Trinity’s hurlers from the Ryan Cup to the heights of the Fitzgibbon cup and the excitement in the team is palpable. But their first match away to Limerick IT (LIT) was always going to be a massive challenge, particularly with corner back Luke Carey picking up an injury late in the week.

LIT – who are major contenders for the trophy – were initially put on the back foot with Trinity’s hurlers having the lion’s share of possession. They weren’t able to capitalise on this domination, however, shooting four wides that were answered by an LIT point.

LIT took firm control over the game, scoring four goals in quick succession. The game slipped away from Trinity after this who fought hard until the end but couldn’t regain a foothold in the game. Although managing to create a few moments of magic, such as a Cian O’Sullivan sideline similar to the one that went viral earlier in the year, it wasn’t enough to defeat a strong opposition side.

Despite the 4-21 to 0-7 defeat there is still plenty of momentum behind the team. With freshers littered about the team – a rarity at Fitzgibbon level – Trinity have emerged as a young and talented force.

With a possibility of silverware in the Kehoe Cup, with the semi-final on Sunday, and two matches still to play in the Fitzgibbon group stages, there is still plenty of action in store this year for the Trinity hurlers.

Trinity’s senior footballers were in action the following day away to NUI Galway (NUIG). After a close first half, the home side dispatched Trinity’s senior footballers 4-12 to 1-7. Despite a brave performance from the visitors, NUIG proved too strong for Trinity in an entertaining preliminary round encounter in the Sigerson Cup. Fielding a strong team, featuring Galway star Damien Comer, NUIG exploded out of the blocks and an early ten minute blitz saw Sean Kelly claim the game’s opening goal.

NUIG were awarded a penalty for a foot block, which Adam Gallagher dispatched past Liam Brady in the Trinity goal to give the home side a 2-02 to 0-0 lead after fifteen minutes. Trinity rallied and Bryan McGee, James Guinness and Dylan Brady fired three unanswered points to leave Trinity trailing by 2-06 to 0-04 at half time.

NUIG started the second half quickly, chalking up 1-04 without reply, before forcing a fantastic save from Trinity goalkeeper, Brady. Despite the Down under-21 forward Guinness rattling the net in the 52nd minute with a finely taken goal, Trinity couldn’t quite force their way back into the game. A fourth goal from Matt McClean effectively ended the game as a contest, with Trinity adding three points from Brady, Ross McCullagh and Cian O’Donaghue as the match drew to a close. The performances of Brady and Guinness lit up an otherwise forgettable evening for Trinity, who were unfortunate to draw one of the strongest sides at this level so early in the competition.