Work to Begin on Year-Long Medium Voltage Upgrade

The year-long disruption to campus will result in a greater capacity of Trinity’s electricity supply.

Philip McGuinness, Staff Writer

Work is set to begin in the next two weeks on the upgrade of Trinity’s electricity supply network. The work to enhance upgrade the medium voltage network is set to continue until December.

This will represent a major overhaul in Trinity’s electrical infrastructure in order to increase the capacity and make the system more robust.

In speaking to The University Times by email, Emmet Dalton, head of the project, said, “the first phase of the works will be the trenching from Berkeley Library, around the Museum Building, to the rear of the North of Botany Bay”.

This upgrade is centred on eight substations located in various parts of the campus from where electricity is supplied to the individual estates and facilities. Speaking to The University Times in October , Dalton spoke of the need to replace the existing structure as it is at risk of a power failure.

Speaking in October, Dalton explained the reasons for the update: “Some of it has been there for an awful long time, some of us don’t even know when it was put in.”

This development will lead to inevitable disruption around campus, but Dalton explained that “in advance of each section of work, we will be communicating with those neighbouring buildings, so that they are aware of potential disruptions to their normal walking routes or car parking arrangements”.

Dalton has said that he has spoken with the Academic Registry to avoid disruption during exam time as well as with other services on campus, including the Chaplaincy and Trinity’s Commercial Revenue Unit.

The first phase of this work will see trenching and laying of new pipes. This is due to be done in 18 phases, with this first phase beginning in the next two weeks.

This is then due to continue until June, after which time the switch over will begin from the old system to the new system, concluding in December of this year.

This project is also being undertaken to enhance the electricity supply needed for Oisín House project, set to begin shortly, and the new Trinity Business School project which is already underway. The current infrastructure does not allow for these major projects to be built as the current system is close to maximum capacity.

Dalton accepted, in October, that “this is not really a popular project, it’s not something where we will be cutting a ribbon”, but that the “project that allows the ribbon cutting projects to happen”.

A lengthy plan has also been put together to avoid all unnecessary disruption as well as limiting dust, particularly around the Old Library, and not using certain machinery to protect Trinity’s trees.