Q Soc On Providing Constant Support for Trinity’s LGBT Community

Fionnuala Egan learns more about the society that strives to provide a safe and inclusive place for LGBT students on campus.

Fionnuala Egan Societies Editor

Trinity’s Q Soc is the oldest third-level LGBT organisation in the country. The society, which was officially recognised in 1982, can trace its origins to the sexual liberation movement, active in Trinity and Dublin in the 1970s. In celebration of their history and in looking forward to an even more inclusive society, Q Soc is open to students of any sexual orientation or gender identity who want to socialise with LGBT students or others interested in LGBT society and politics.

According to their website, Q Soc is “more than just ‘gay people hanging out, being gay’. Q Soc is about people first, having fun and making the most of their time in college while sharing and supporting the experience of being LGBT”. The society have a dedicated Inclusion Officer, third-year Catholic theological studies student Leo O’Connor. Speaking to The University Times over email, O’Connor explained that he strives “to make the society a welcoming place where everyone is represented”. He took up the role in his second year and runs the “ever crucial” coming out discussions and closed spaces. A closed space refers to a meeting reserved for people who identity with a particular sexuality or gender identity. O’Connor also provides a friendly ear to anyone who needs it.

Speaking to The University Times over email, the Secretary of Q Soc, Kyle Chambers, explained how he attempts to keep the balance between the “core duties” of the society such as the running of closed spaces as well as hosting other important events such as cocktail nights and drag workshops. The third-year history of art and architecture student has previously served as Inclusion Officer and committee member.

The society also runs a year-round “introductions scheme”. This initiative is led by the Inclusion Officer and aims give people an easy way to get involved if they don’t want to come to coffee hours or an event by themselves. These people can simply email the society and organise a time to meet up for a coffee or even just a quick chat.

Rainbow Week was one of the busiest weeks of the year for the society, Q Soc is highly active throughout the year, running at least three events a week. These range from a book club, to screenings of queer TV programmes and films to themed receptions. The society also holds coffee hours from 1pm to 3pm Monday to Friday in their society room on the second floor of House 6. This is a safe space for members to chill out and get to know each other. Chambers also emphasised that this event is not just for coffee drinkers: “In fact, it’s mostly tea.”

Reflecting on the events that the society has held throughout the year, Chambers and O’Connor agreed upon the Oscar Wilde Séance as a notable highlight. The séance was held at Halloween and proved to be a huge success. They also remarked that their speed-friending events are “always great fun”. Wine and cheese evenings, meanwhile, are “a great way to pretend to be sophisticated”. Club Philith, held during Freshers Week in association with the University Philosophical Society (the Phil), was also a major hit. Most recently, the society held a Lip-sync for Your Life event in WigWam on the Monday of Rainbow Week. As Chambers put it, “What’s better than embarrassing yourself on stage in front of all your friends?” Chambers and O’Connor also hint at other exciting plans coming up in the year ahead. These include Queer Prom in February, which is set to be a fantastic, stylish night. A musical club night is also in the works for the coming term, with more details to be disclosed shortly.

Commenting on the success of Rainbow Week, O’Connor and Chambers described the week as a “fabulous whirlwind” that offers a fantastic opportunity to organise a full calendar of exciting events. Q Soc committee members dedicate a lot of time that they usually wouldn’t be able to do during ordinary weeks in order to plan unique and enjoyable events. The experience of working with Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has been a positive one. Q Soc praise the “amazing, creative people” who serve on the Rainbow Week committee. Chambers described being on Q Soc committee during this week as “both extremely rewarding and extremely exhausting” and went on to discuss a somewhat bizarre, if heart-warming, anecdote from last Rainbow Week: “Both of us were on committee last year as well, and we very vividly remember [when] the entire Q Soc room broke out into a heart-wrenching rendition of ‘One Day More’ from Les Miserables. It seems a bit surreal to look back on, but it gives you a good idea of the ecstatic delirium that sets in sometimes. Also, a good idea of how unfailingly dramatic we all are.”

Finally, they urge people who are interested to get involved: “Honestly take the leap – it can be intimidating at first but everyone is so welcoming and friendly. There really is a place for everybody here.”