With Hour Earlier Start to Event, Trinity Ball Ticket Price Increased for First Time in Nearly a Decade

With Trinity Ball working to accommodate LUAS works, tickets will this year be priced at €87 instead of the usual €80, with the event itself an hour longer.

Sinéad BakerEditor

Trinity Ball tickets will this year increase in price for the first time in over a decade, with tickets to be sold for €87 instead of the usual €80. This increase comes alongside other changes to the ball structure, including an hour extension to the event, to accommodate ongoing LUAS works on College Green.

The ball is to start an hour earlier than usual, at 9pm instead of the usual 10pm. A press statement from Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) states that acts will be on stage from 9pm, with the ball ending at 5am as normal.

Speaking to The University Times by email, Entertainments Officer of TCDSU, Padraic Rowley, stated: “The increase in price is a result of the longer duration of the Ball, incurring larger staffing costs and the third entrance required by the creation of the new LUAS line.”

“It’s unfortunate that a price increase had to occur, but we have to meet the requirements set down by Dublin City Council and the complexities caused by the new LUAS line”, Rowley added.

“The earlier opening time means additional artistes, security and site personnel costs and for the first time in nearly a decade there will be an increase in the ticket price to €87”, the union’s statement continues, with Rowley adding that “in addition to these costs, there will also be a larger number of welfare and medical tents on site at the Ball”.

Those attending the ball are required to be on campus before 10.30pm, with a new entrance at Westland Row to be opened in addition to College Green and Nassau St.

“Due to concerns for attendees’ safety, the number of welfare and medical areas at Trinity Ball has been increased for 2017”, the statement adds.

This year’s Trinity Ball takes place on April 7th, with tickets on sale on February 15th.

The University Times revealed the first four acts of the in ball January. These are The Riptide Movement, Wilkinson and SG Lewis as well as Trinity lecturer and Trinity FM DJ Nick Johnson.

Padraic Rowley, TCDSU Ents Officer, prioritised adding more bands to the ball’s line-up this year, however he was keen to ensure that the dance tent was still serviced with a line-up of top talent.

This year's Trinity Ball will also host a range of student-run art installations.

The full Trinity Ball line-up is expected on February 12th.