Arts Block’s “Habitat HQ” Offers Underwhelming Response to the Space’s Active Thoroughfare

Áine McBride’s exhibition, which is currently on show outside the Ed Burke theatre, offers an inconclusive response to student life in the Arts Block.

Holly Brown Art Editor
Holly Brown for The University Times

The concourse preceding the Edmund Burke theatre is an unusual location for a gallery space. Even more unusual is the new display of sculptures by artist Áine Mc Bride which has been installed there.

“Habitat HQ”, organised by Trinity’s Douglas Hyde Gallery, has been described by the gallery as an installation that is responsive to the “active thoroughfare” of students within the brutalist environment of the Arts Block. Indeed, the rather unattractive space directly outside the theatre is well utilised by students and is often filled with people. However, unlike the rest of the lower floors of the Arts Block, this space does not feature much artwork – until now, of course.

The display is composed of three ambiguous wooden boxes. One is long with a green top, another squat box has a blue surround and the third is tall, hollow and grey. Apart from the dilute colours which have been used sparingly, they are completely devoid of any sort of ornamentation, a conscious decision made by the artist in order to emphasise the fact that these objects intend to serve no purpose, apparently neither functional objects nor artwork.

The display is underwhelming. The pieces appear to be incomplete, as if there is some key component missing from them. Many who pass do not even seem to know that these are artworks. This is not helped by the lack of signage or description. In fact, upon my visit, a full bin bag had been unceremoniously propped up against one of them. Maybe this sort of indifference was intentional. However, it is not to my taste.

Art is present throughout campus and in particular surrounding the College’s more brutalist structures. The Berkeley Library is accompanied by the ever-popular “Sfera con Sfera” which provides a pleasing contrast of the austere linear facade of the library with the sleek gold structure. Within the library a tapestry by Patrick Scott brightens the space while also acknowledging its minimalist nature. Within the Arts Block itself, there is a selection of paintings, prints and drawings on display which changes with the seasons and provides much more visual interest.

Mc Bride’s sculptures are not approachable and are also difficult to read. Students seem either indifferent to or bothered by them as they impede their passage. Their intention is described as rationalising a space when “it’s intended function is displaced by how it is used”. This meaning, however, is nearly impossible to extract from the pieces.

The artist herself will host a talk about the works tomorrow, Friday March 24th, at 6pm in the concourse outside the Edmund Burke theatre.