On International Women’s Day, Leading Trinity Figures on Empowerment in College and Beyond

Leading women in Trinity on working hard, standing up for what they believe in and empowering the next generation.

TCD Photo

International Women’s Day is a celebration of the achievements of women throughout the world and an acknowledgement of some of the struggles they continue to face in the 21st century. This year, there was a strong focus on the lack of abortion rights for women in Ireland with many individuals and groups calling for a repeal the eighth amendment.

Perhaps most noticeably for students, the Strike 4 Repeal campaign saw many descend on O’Connell Bridge in a “strike”, calling on the government to hold a referendum on the eighth amendment. Over 3,000 people attended the strike, with many others showing solidarity by wearing black and changing their social media profile pictures to the campaign’s symbol, with a further 8,000 to 10,000 marching in the city centre this evening. It is now very clear that abortion is the most pressing women’s issue in Ireland.

Women’s struggles are also evident in many other aspects of society. Although the Dáil now has the most female TDs in its history, women still only make up a meagre 22 per cent of the parliament. This lack of female representation in positions of significance is unfortunately evident throughout many different professions.

Here in Trinity, however, there are many women in prominent positions in student societies, sports clubs and in senior positions in College itself. Hearing their stories is important in trying to understand the barriers that young women still face today and, most importantly, in inspiring others to follow their lead in the pursuit of a gender equal society.

Refusing to be Limited

I have never felt limited by the fact that I am a woman. I am surrounded by such strong women, both in my class, through my work with An Cumann Gaelach and on the football pitch. Being a strong woman, with opinions and competency to effect change is the norm for me. The atmosphere in college is one which is so open to change and filled with possibility. I do think that the way in which society views women in sport has yet to catch up with other aspects of life, there can be challenges and stereotypes to break in regard to this, but I think that that’s what makes me stronger and more determined in what I do.

I hope first-year students can look to me and my counterparts and think they can do what I do, but better. It is this constant striving for betterment which is unique to women, and is a positive creation of circumstances. Tá cumhacht na mban ag hiontach/The power of women is incredible.

Áine Haberlin, fourth-year law student; Reachtaire, An Cumann Gaelach; Laois county footballer; and Trinity Sports Scholar

Encouraging Women Towards Leadership

When I was in first year, an older girl I knew told me I should think about running for the head of Law Soc in a few years. It struck a chord with me at the time, and now I try to encourage other girls around me to run for positions that I know would suit them. I feel you have to tell girls – even the really experienced ones – a million times to go for something. Their first instinct is usually “no, no, I could never do that, that could never be me”. From my experience, girls tend to underestimate how good they are and are less willing to put themselves out there.

College positions might seem like a small thing and, of course, in the grand scheme of things they are. But if you can’t persuade a girl to run for a committee or council position she’s qualified for in college, how on earth do we expect her to put herself forward for a promotion in work, or to run for election? Building confidence in women has to start early, and having a good mix of both women and men in college leadership positions makes it more likely that those people will be comfortable leading in later life. As a wise woman once said, “carry yourself with the confidence of a mediocre white man”.

Hilary Hogan, fourth-year law student and Auditor of Trinity Law Soc

Striving to Improve on History

I am going to celebrate International Women’s Day this evening by travelling to Armagh Public Library. A colleague, Prof Moyra Haslett (QUB), is giving a paper on eighteenth-century writing by women the library contains. In my own academic work in the School of English I often consider the conditions in which women spoke and wrote in the past, and the material and ideological restrictions they confronted. There was still a sense in the early eighteenth century that a woman “steps out of her Province” when she presumes to write for the Press.

In 2017, as a senior woman academic, administrator, and manager, I know that I am often called on to serve on committees or take on certain roles so that gender balance can be achieved. Unquestionably, there’s a dramatic contrast between my own experience and those of the eighteenth-century women whose works and lives I study. There’s also a more fundamental similarity: that my gender, just like theirs, fundamentally marks the terms on which I speak, write, and contribute.

Dr Aileen Douglas, Head of Trinity’s School of English

Promoting Female Voices Across College

I went to a very empowering all-girls school back in the States, so it was strange coming to university where there were guys and not everyone was a feminist. At first I felt like I had to act like “one of the boys” to prove my worth to potential guy friends. It was particularly a problem in Trinity FM, which culturally was a male-dominated society when I first joined. However, I’ve been lucky enough to have feminist friends that have encouraged me not to abandon my femininity just to fit in.

As the women in Trinity FM became closer friends with the men, we told them how it felt to be outnumbered and always have to adapt to their conversations or interests rather than the other way around. In a society all about broadcasting, we were struggling to be heard. The guys were very receptive, and I’m happy to say that the number of women on the committee has doubled since I was treasurer in my second year. During my time at Trinity I’ve learned that friendship with people of all genders is the best way to overcome the constraints put on women

Clare Martin, final-year business and politics student and Chair of Trinity FM

Not Just Masculine Traits Should be Considered Powerful

All my life, I’ve been drawn towards leadership positions. All my life, I’ve watched male leaders on TV, in politics, or at my own dinner table. I learned from them, and before long, I found myself at odds with those I was supposed to be leading. Why was it okay for a man to give orders but not me? Why can a man be loud and in-your-face but not me? In my second year of college, I stepped up for the role of Chair of the DU General Science Society. Having won, I now, for the first time in my life, employed a new leadership approach – a feminine approach. Lateral thinking, desire for inclusion of all opinions, diversity of thought, and a natural ability for analysis were characteristics that I now embraced instead of ignored.

There is a misconception that only masculine traits can be powerful, but in the last year I have proven to myself, and hopefully a few others, that this is not the case. Leading a gender balanced committee, where everyone’s voice is heard, where our men are eternally supportive and respectful, has been the greatest achievement of my life. It is a microcosm of “the way things should be”. Don’t ever feel like you have to act like a man to act like a leader.

Fíona Waters, third-year molecular medicine student and Chair of DU General Science Society

The Importance of Integrity in Politics

I became involved in politics at a young age. Luckily, I have never experienced a situation where my gender has prohibited me from participating at all levels of politics. In fact, I found the opposite. Of course, it’s important for women to be involved in politics, but not simply by virtue of the fact that we are women but rather because of our intelligence, innovation and determination.

It must be recognised that the roles played by women throughout our history have been for the most part ignored. Thankfully, the 1916 centenary commemorations brought to the fore the part women played in our country’s history. I am inspired by these women and by women like the suffragettes who fought for our right to vote. If it wasn’t for them, I may not have had the opportunity to be involved in politics. It is up to us to now carry the mantel, as equalists.

It is important that in politics, irrespective of your gender, to stand up for what you believe in, even if you stand alone.

Róisín Bradley, Fourth-Year Law student and member of Fianna Fáil Ard Chomhairle committee

Pushing into a Male-Dominated Sphere

I have had a very positive experience as a woman over many years associated with Trinity College – in the 1980s when I studied for an undergraduate law degree here, there were many brilliant women role models among our lecturers, including Mary Robinson, Mary McAleese and Yvonne Scannell. I have now been teaching law at Trinity myself for many years, and again have great colleagues, both male and female. In the 1990s, I also qualified as a barrister and practised for many years.

The bar, and legal practice generally, I found to be much more male-dominated than academia. In 2003, three of us published a study of gender discrimination in legal practice (Bacik, Costello & Drew, Gender InJustice); and I am happy to say that the position of women in law has improved greatly since then. More recently, since 2007 I have been a member of the Seanad, representing Dublin University graduates. There are still very few women in politics, and I am now working hard to try and change that too.

Ivana Bacik, Trinity Senator, Reid Professor of Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology, Barrister and Senior Lecturer and Fellow at Trinity

Equal Representation in Sport

I was first appointed DUFC Women’s Captain at the end of my second year of college. As I began my duties that following September I brought with me great expectations as to what I could do to make a difference; to further the women’s rugby team’s development in what is typically a male dominated sport.

While I still, two years on, hold on to these expectations and have successfully tackled some, if not all of them, it was not without hard work and courage. Standing up for what I believe in with the help of a very close and driven team has resulted in the breaking down of barriers that women in sport tend to face: being taken seriously as athletes, boosting attendance, and raising awareness of our games and slowly chipping away at the title ‘Women’s rugby’ in the hope that in years to come, the game I love so much won’t need to be distinguished based on gender at all, that one day women will truly be equally represented across all sports.

To sum up my experience of being a leader, it has at times been challenging, but also extremely positive and rewarding. With every doubt, I became more determined to conquer the rugby world. With every remark, I became more robust. As my time comes to an end, I would urge any woman presented with a leadership opportunity to take it – especially in the world of sport – as women need to have a louder voice and a more noticeable presence both on and off the pitch.

Niamh Byrne, final-year BESS student and Captain of DUFC Women