Reach New Heights with a Uniquely Social Workout

Located in Inchicore, Gravity Climbing Centre offers high-quality bouldering, climbing competitions and a welcoming community.

Arianna SchardtAssistant Radius Editor

Hidden in an industrial estate in Inchicore in a nondescript building, you’ll find Gravity Climbing Centre, which offers high-quality bouldering just on the edge of Dublin. Located on the number 13 bus route, which departs from outside Abercrombie & Fitch on Dame St and leaves you just opposite Gravity, or a short 20-minute cycle from College, Gravity is easily accessible from town, and with its flexible opening hours, it can work with any student’s schedule.

The difference between bouldering and roped climbing is fairly simple, with the latter requiring ropes and seeing climbers reach higher heights and the former seeing participants free-climb without ropes on lower walls and falling onto giant mats. While the idea of free falling might sound intimidating, the mats are there to cushion falls and the highest wall is only 4.5 meters in height.

Safety, of course, is at the fore of Gravity’s mission as a climbing centre. To get started, every participant must complete a one-hour induction before being allowed to climb independently. A cost of €22 covers membership to the centre, shoe rental and instructor fees. The induction sessions, which are led by trained instructors, go over the safety procedures and climbing techniques, giving newcomers an opportunity to get to grips with bouldering in a safe and encouraging environment. These sessions run weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8pm and Saturdays and Sundays at 1pm and 6pm. If you have a friend who is already a member at Gravity, they can sign in up to two guests at a time for the cost of entry and shoe rental. After three sessions as a guest, you can register independently.

In addition to offering high-quality climbing, instructors and equipment, Gravity also offers a welcoming environment and sense of community for newcomers and regulars alike. In the reception, you’ll find a small shop selling everything from rock climbing shoes to workout clothes. If you walk or cycle to Gravity, you can avail of a free coffee or tea, colloquially known as a “cycler’s tea or coffee” or “walker’s tea or coffee”, offering members an incentive to use healthier ways to travel to the centre as opposed to driving or using public transport. Otherwise, Gravity has a variety of coffees and teas on sale, along with a selection of snacks, such as Cliff or Trek bars, to have in between problems. Problems are the designated paths denoted by the different coloured blocks participants climb to reach the top.

You’ll almost always find a group of climbers chatting near the couches, which are located just off the mats. Regular climbers are always welcoming towards newcomers – if you’re having trouble completing a problem, ask almost anyone, and they’ll be happy to help. Alternatively, staff and instructors are constantly floating around and are always willing to give you some tips.

Every Saturday and Sunday, the centre offers students a special rate – after 5pm, you can visit the centre for only €5. This discounted rate also applies at lunchtime every day for a one-hour special. Shoe rental costs €3.50, and the shoes are required for climbing. Regularly, students can gain access to the centre for €7.50 at peak hours, 5pm to 10pm Monday to Friday and Saturday and Sunday all day, and €7.00 for off-peak. Yearly and monthly passes are also available at a discounted rate for students.

Gravity also offers climbers the chance to compete across a variety of levels. Most recently, they played host to G-Force, a three-day competition, which took place from Friday, February 24th to Sunday, February 26th. Competitions, as well as being exciting to watch, are opportunities for more experienced climbers to compete in a friendly environment.

At Gravity, you’ll find welcoming instructors and fellow climbers, an endless amount of climbing problems and teas, coffees and snacks. A social atmosphere intermingled with a good workout is what makes Gravity appealing to students looking to climb in a welcoming environment.