A Labyrinth of Tranquility: Evening Tour of the National Gallery

Take a tour of the National Gallery at dusk and take time to appreciate the wonderful renovations.

Muireann Kane Deputy Art Editor
Holly Brown for The University Times

The National Gallery of Ireland underwent a structural renaissance this summer. The historic wings unfold into a glorious labyrinth of visual immersion. Or if your direction-following skills surpass mine, which is more than likely, a carefully mapped timeline of some of Ireland’s greatest art as well as an impressive international collection.

The €30 million refurbishment at the hands of the Office of Public Works saw to the closure of some of the gallery’s oldest wings for almost six years. Rome, we remember, was not built in a day. And though deadlines underwent a series of unfortunate elongations, the gallery reopened in all its splendour in June of this year with international exhibitions, such as Vermeer and the Masters of Genre Painting, which was a collaboration with the Louvre Museum and the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.

The renovations were pulled off with aplomb. There is an imposing self-possession in the fusion of old walls and new ideas to conceive the most glorious sense of tranquility. The key to becoming a navigational and fact-filled purveyor of this splendid institution lies at your fingertips in the form of a free tour of the permanent collection. The tours will be conducted by gallery tour guides and from my own previous experience, these experts leave no stroke unfinished.

The evening tour begins at 6.30pm at the Merrion Sq information desk on September 21st. All are welcome and no booking is necessary.