As Probe Begins, Here are the Highlights

Ireland's best scientists will be promoting their work in Front Square this evening.

Jack SchofieldScience and Research Correspondent

Trinity will tonight introduce the best of Irish research to the public with PROBE: Research Uncovered, a pop-up event in Front Square and around campus.

The event began in Front Square, with tents offering a variety of attractions for visitors of all ages. The “Get Personal” tent is offering the most diverse selection, with researchers describing innovation in artificial intelligence, exploring immune system defences in the lung, bilingual toddlers and miniaturised satellites to name but a few.

The “Maker Space” tent wants to get visitors’ creative juices flowing, showcasing the modern “Maker” movement with next generation “do-it-yourself” handywork. The Science Gallery’s Makeshop tent will be experimenting with wearable technology and inspiring visitors to begin their own projects, while robot-fighting machines will be assembled at Roboslam and homemade microscopes will be tested at Micro-Geo. The Cafe Curie tent allow visitors to see what drives people working in research, with soup and hot drinks to fuel your curiosity.

The Main Stage tent will see a number of talks on subjects including access to higher education, the role that researchers have to play in activism and a show from the Bright Club, where researchers will take to the stage for stand-up comedy related to their work.

Across the campus from the Douglas Hyde Gallery to the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), there will be a number of other events. Highlights include the a panel discussion on video games in the Long Room Hub from 7pm to 8pm and a debate on mandatory vaccination programmes in the TBSI from 7pm to 8pm. Be advised that some of these events require visitors to pre-book free tickets online.

Figures from the world of science and research descend on Trinity tonight to share their work, bringing something that visitors from all disciplines and backgrounds can enjoy.