Salsa and Sangria in Front Square: A New Type Of Pre-Drinks

Trinity’s Hispanic Society kicked off the festivities on the Tuesday night of Freshers’ Week with their event ‘Salsa in the Square’.

Niamh HerbertDeputy Societies Editor

Following the success of last term’s salsa dancing event, the Hispanic Society decided to host another “Salsa in the Square” evening. Last night at 7pm, the Hispanic Society hosted a salsa dancing class right in the middle of Front Square with some of Salsa Dublin’s certified instructors.

Hispanic Society members began to arrive in dribs and drabs as the event took off last night in Front Square. There were three instructors present from Salsa Dublin, and as they began to instruct a dance and the Latin music began playing, the crowd attracted more and more attention. It was a truly magnetic event, and even passers by were lured in by the music blaring from the speakers.

Speaking to The University Times, Ryan Culhane, the Secretary of the Hispanic Society, explained how “a large part of Hispanic culture focuses on celebration and socialising as a community”. The Hispanic Society planned to emulate that sense of celebration and community by bringing people together for a night of laughter and dance in front of the Campanile.

Dancing skills and rhythm were not required and before the event took place Culhane encouraged everyone to attend the event “regardless of your dance skill level”. After the dancing lesson, the festivities continued across the square in the Atrium where sangria and tapas were provided by the Hispanic Society.

It proved to be a popular event for the Hispanic Society and definitely seemed to set the Tuesday night festivities off to a good start. Trinity’s Hispanic Society unquestionably achieved their goal to create a sense of celebration and community.

The Hispanic Society will also be featured at Wednesday’s Global Village with AIESEC in the Global room and on Thursday at the Language Pub Crawl, starting at the Pav at 7.30pm. Membership is required to attend these events and can be bought at the Hispanic Society’s stand at the freshers’ fair or at the door.