Social Democrats Propose €60m Spending Boost on Third-Level Education

In their alternative budget, the party also called for a €500 reduction in the student contribution charge.

Eleanor O'MahonyDeputy Editor
Paul Sharp

Pitching their alternative budget for 2018 today, the Social Democrats proposed boosting spending on higher education by €60 million.

Just days before the government will announce Budget 2018, the party outlined plans to gradually reduce the cost of the student contribution charge, beginning with a €500 reduction in 2018 at a cost of €7.5 million.

The party also emphasised the importance of the SUSI grant scheme, vowing to invest an extra €10 million to improve access and support for part-time students.

The alternative budget also lays out other ways to support those undertaking third-level education, with an increase in spending in children and child poverty.

Last year in their budget proposal, the Social Democrats called for a 10 per cent increase in the block grant provided to higher education institutes along with a reduction of student contribution by €300 for the 2017/18 academic year.

In the party’s general election manifesto, there was a commitment to increasing spending on higher education by 10 per cent in conjunction with a lowering of the student contribution charge. They proposed to make up the balance with an increase in exchequer funding with the aim of reaching average EU levels of funding.

Writing for The University Times in the run-up to the general election, Stephen Donnelly, then a co-leader of the party, emphasised the party’s commitment to third-level education, stating that the 10 per cent increase in spending “would go to addressing the problems faced by universities, such as preventing the rising student–staff ratio and the expected increase in numbers attending, as well as ensuring that students have access to the equipment and books that they need”.

The alternative budget follows calls from Fianna Fáil for more funding for the sector. Writing in The University Times, the party’s education spokesperson Thomas Byrne said the party wouldn’t support a fee increase for students.

Yesterday, thousands of students marched, warning the government of the repercussions of choosing loans over publicly funded education. While Fine Gael has given little suggestion of its position, in the last few days the government has said it will not put “undue financial pressure” on students, with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar intervening in the debate to tell students he wouldn’t want to see UK-style loan schemes introduced.