The Inside Story of Horror, in the Freemasons’ Hall for Halloween

This horror convention brings the best and scariest elements from the genre to the Freemasons' Hall for a day

Rebecca Wynne-WalshFilm and TV Editor

Horror Expo Ireland is the ultimate destination for any self-respecting fan of the frightening, whether your interests lie in film, TV, literature, art or indeed all of the above. This year’s event is set to take place on Sunday, October 29th, starting at 5pm and aiming to stretch into the early hours of the morning in the spectacularly spooky location of the Freemasons’ Hall in Dublin. The extravagantly Gothic architecture sets the perfect scene for an evening preoccupied with all things terror.

This event is back by popular demand for its second year to present horror experts and paraphernalia from all over the world to Dublin’s biggest fans of the genre. If there was ever an opportunity to do something a little different for Halloween, this is it. Horror Expo promises a day full of SFX demonstrations, paranormal investigations, storytellers, screenings and Q&A sessions, all centred around the horror genre and all set to thrill and terrify in equally satisfying measure. Gallery X will also be present to exhibit an array of incredible Gothic artwork.

Event organiser, Trinity graduate and horror expert Sarah Cleary describes Horror Expo as the perfect middle ground between “academia and fan culture”, an “intersection between hearts and minds”. In relation to last year’s event, Cleary is thrilled to announce that this year’s schedule “is definitely plumped out”. In a bid to truly provide something for everyone, the 2017 Horror Expo will have as many as four events running at any one time. The connection between Horror Expo Ireland and Trinity goes further beyond its organiser. Prof Darryl Jones, of Trinity’s School of English, opened last year’s event and this year Dr Bernice Murphy is set to speak. Both academics hold highly respected positions, not only in Trinity’s English department but in the international community of Gothic and horror scholars as a whole.

Horror Expo Ireland aims to give its fear-hungry fans “the opportunity to explore their favourite genre with prominent and talented professionals from the world of Horror”. Among the high-profile guests attending this event is David J Skal, an internationally renowned historian of horror and monsters in literature and popular culture. Some of his most successful book titles include Hollywood Gothic and V is for Vampire. He is also co-editor of the Norton Critical Edition of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Dr Catherine Spooner is also set to make an appearance at the event. Spooner is the current co-President of the International Gothic Association. Having such esteemed academics and such impressive experts in Gothic and horror present at this event will make the day a feast for the intellect as well as an enjoyable excursion. On the more fictional side of things, two of the most spine-tingling special guests at this event will be horror writers Ramsey Campbell and Kim Newman. Campbell has been described as this generation’s HP Lovecraft, while Newman is the celebrated mastermind behind the best-selling Anno Dracula book series. Cleary notes that while Campbell and Newman are titans of the horror fiction industry, “first and foremost these guests are fans of the horror genre”, and in that capacity Cleary expects an evening of stimulating and “lovely interaction with the audience”. These guests will add another layer to the immersive experience that Horror Expo provides.

Dublin’s award-winning makeup artistry school The Make Up Crew will be making a hotly anticipated appearance at the Expo. They are set to steal the show with a series of special effects and makeup demonstrations throughout the event. As well as these artists, academics and authors, there will also be filmmakers in attendance to discuss their craft and their inspirations. The night will conclude with a candle-lit midnight screening of a classic horror film.

While there will be a full bar and a selection of refreshments on offer, Horror Expo encourages a come as you please atmosphere. The wristbands received upon arrival will allow attendees to pick and choose which events they wish to see and leave to grab some dinner in between times. The stunning location of the Freemasons’ Hall means that an assortment of bars and restaurants are readily available for horror fans who wish to step out for a moment. While there will be a bar at the event, organiser Cleary is also proud to describe Horror Expo 2017 as one of few Halloween events in Dublin that is by no means structured around alcohol. This is an event centred on indulging passions and sharing interests with a group of like-minded horror fanatics.

It is clear that Horror Expo Ireland 2017 has set its bar high, not just in terms of the terrifying but also in terms of quality and variety. This is a truly unique Halloween experience that is sure to provide ammunition for fireside storytelling for months to come.