Half Light Delves Into the Darkness

Four Trinity students are building on the success of their Debut Devising Festival show.

Alice BellamyAssistant Theatre Editor
Aoife Leonard/Bombinate Theatre

Trinity’s Department of Drama plays host to the Debut Devising Festival every year, as a means for final-year theatre students to create work on a professional scale. It is this festival that brought one particular theatre company together in a wonderful success story.

Bombinate Theatre, a company started in the Samuel Beckett Centre’s winding corridors, debuted its wonderfully emotional and beautiful devised production of Half Light in 2016 and it has only continued to grow, as now the show will be embarking on a national tour of Ireland, stopping in seven theatres all around the country.

Half Light follows the story of young boy Robin who journeys into the woods of his dad’s fairytales to rescue him from the terrible monster depression. The show delighted audiences in its debut at the Samuel Beckett Theatre, and continued on to Dublin Fringe Festival 2016, where it won the First Fortnight award, for work that deals with issues surrounding mental health and illness.

Bombinate Theatre focuses its creative work on theatre from children and families, productions that can mean as much to adults as they do to youngsters. As they say themselves on their website, their aim is “to encourage children to make noise, to ask big questions and to stay on their own buzz” engaging people from ages as young as eight with creative arts.

Bombinate Theatre began with four graduates from the Drama and Theatre Studies department, Mollie Molumby, Ursula McGinn, Tilley Taylor and Ellen Gorman, and will be touring with Half Light from January 26th to April 5th 2018.