Sally Rooney Named New Stinging Fly Editor

The Trinity graduate and acclaimed writer will take over the literary magazine.

Chloe TaitLiterature Editor

Trinity graduate and critically acclaimed writer Sally Rooney will be the new Editor of the Stinging Fly magazine.

Rooney’s appointment as Editor of the Irish literary magazine follows the publication of her first novel Conversations With Friends by Faber & Faber in May of this year.

In a statement, Rooney said: “Like most readers, I’m interested in writing that addresses life as it’s lived today – whether directly or indirectly. In particular, I’ll be looking out for work that combines original literary style with a real understanding of people and communities.”

“I look forward immensely to reading the submissions for the Summer 2018 issue, and I would like to thank submitters in advance for sharing their work with me”, she said.

The Stinging Fly is an Irish magazine established in 1997 that focuses on publishing work from new writers, in particular short stories. The magazine has published short stories from well-known Irish authors, including Emma Donoghue, author of Room and The Wonder, with submissions ranging from short stories to poetry, to essays and literary criticism and reviews.

Rooney herself has an impressive number of submissions in the magazine’s archives herself, being the Spring 2015 edition’s featured poet. The publication has had a publishing house since 2005, The Stinging Fly Press, which also publishes work from new Irish writers.

Sally Rooney, born in 1991 in the west of Ireland, studied English in Trinity before publishing her well-received first novel, Conversations with Friends. Alongside the Stinging Fly, she has also published work in Granta and the Dublin Review. Her first issue as Editor of the Stinging Fly will be published in Summer 2018. Submissions are open Monday December 4th.