Film Network 2018 Offers Inside Look at Irish Industry

The annual conference returns with a big-name line-up.

Rebecca Wynne-WalshFilm & TV Editor
Filming took place in Trinity last year.
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times

This January sees the return of the always successful and thankfully now annual Film Network event hosted by the Dublin University Film Society (DU Film). The Chair of DU Film, Allie Wheeland, speaking to The University Times, described this award-winning multi-day conference as an exploration into “the inner workings of the film industry in Ireland and beyond”.

The Film Network assembles a wide ranging selection of speakers from a huge array of different backgrounds in the Irish and international film industry. These esteemed guests are highly qualified, at the top of their game and generous in donating their time to share the pearls of wisdom they have gained through their years of experience and successful film-making careers with the eager young film-making community in Trinity.

This conference is both practical and inspiring as it makes these well-established film-making professionals and their wealth of knowledge accessible to those interested in pursuing film-making careers but uncertain of how to gain entry into an industry renowned for appearing inaccessible to newcomers. The Film Network seeks to tear down those boundaries to encourage the building of career paths and indeed to forge the beginnings of professional networks for all who attend.

The Film Network will feature Q&A sessions and networking opportunities for students to engage with and learn from experienced and seasoned industry professionals with a wide variety of areas of expertise. DU Film recognises the professional value of this networking and as such will provide relevant contact information for many of its speakers, through which attendees may reach out personally with any additional questions.

The speakers currently confirmed for this year’s conference include Chairperson of the Irish Film Board and the President of Dún Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dr Annie Doona. The incredibly talented Neasa Hardiman will also be in attendance: this esteemed director and writer holds creative credits on such television shows such as Netflix’s Jessica Jones, the BBC’s Happy Valley, and Amazon’s Z: Beginning of Everything. Maureen Hughes, casting director of RTE’s Striking Out, Love/Hate, and Rebellion, as well as several films such as Nick Kelly’s The Drummer and the Keeper, will be on hand to divulge her casting wisdom.

Liam Ryan, the producer and programming coordinator for shorts at the Audi Dublin International Film Festival can be expected to speak. Music video and film director Bob Gallagher, film producer Andrew Freedman and documentarian Nicky Gogan will also join the event’s line-up.

Trinity’s very own Prof Justin MacGregor, from the School of Creative Arts, will also speak at the event.

This event will take place in Wynns Hotel on Abbey St. Friday will feature a panel discussion about the current state of the Irish film industry followed by a drinks reception.

Tickets cost €15 for both days or €10 for Saturday alone.