Tapas, Take Me Out and a Talk by Doug Allan: Your Week Ahead

Your guide to the best events in Trinity this week.

Niamh HerbertSocieties Editor

Take some time before reading week to make the most of the events that Trinity’s societies have lined up, before essay season lands and the countdown to exams begins.

Monday

Monday night will see Trinity Ents taking over the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) for the official launch party of Trinity Ball 2018. From 6.30pm, Dublin University DJ (DUDJ) will be providing some groovy tunes as the line-up for the upcoming Trinity Ball is announced. Tickets to the launch party will be €5, and the link to tickets can be found on the Trinity Ents Facebook page.

Tuesday

In association with Rubyworks Record Label, DU Music will be hosting its very first singer-songwriter competition this Tuesday at 7.30pm in the Grand Social. The competition will see 10 contestants performing their own songs and battling it out to win the amazing prize of being able to perform and record in the studios at Rubyworks. Rubyworks is an independent Irish record label that has worked with some notable acts, including Hozier, Ryan Sheridan and Hudson Taylor.

Join Trinity French Society and Europa Trinity at 7.30pm on the cricket pitch for an informal game of Capture the Flag. After all of the playing and running around, quench your thirst and continue the fun with a few well-deserved pints in the Pav.

Wednesday

On Wednesday evening, Dublin University Hispanic Society, Europa Trinity, Trinity French Society, DU Germanic Society and Dublin University Food and Drink are joining forces to bring you A Night in Havana – A Cocktail Party in the Atrium. For only €5 entry, there will be bottomless cocktails and top-quality tapas. What more could you need on your average mid-weekday night?

Following that, head on to the upstairs area in Doyle’s for a Eurobop. The Trinity FM DJs will provide European-themed tunes to keep you on your feet into the early hours of the morning.

Thursday

As a part of Law Day 2018, Trinity Law Society (Law Soc) will be hosting Take Me Out, its own spin on the infamous TV dating show. Come along to the Robert Emmet theatre at 7.30pm and watch four brave lads as they try to woo a date from Law Soc’s panel of lovely volunteers. Entrance is a mere €3, and all proceeds will go to the Capuchin Day Centre.

Friday

Following on from the immense success of last week’s Green Week, TCD Plastic Solutions, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and Trinity Environmental Society are teaming up once again to host Doug Allan, the award-winning wildlife photographer, this Friday at 6.30pm in the Davis lecture theatre. His presentation, “The Changing Poles”, will focus on his 40 years of expertise in marine biology, diving and filming in the Arctic and Antarctic, where he has witnessed first hand how climate change is affecting both poles. Tickets for this event are only €3, and are available from the event page on Facebook.