Trinity to Remain Open Today, Despite Snow

Many other higher education institutions in Dublin have closed their doors today as Storm Emma sweeps across the country.

Róisín PowerAssistant Editor
Dominic McGrath for The University Times

Trinity will remain open today as Storm Emma, nicknamed the “Beast from the East”, rolls in across Ireland and Europe.

More snow is expected to fall across the east coast of the country today, according to Met Éireann, but on Twitter Trinity has stated that the university will remain open today. College said that “staff and students may come into the college as usual if it is safe for them to do so”.

In an email statement to staff and students, Trinity’s Director of Public Affairs and Communications, Tom Molloy, and the Secretary to the College, John Coman, said: “Trinity College Dublin will remain open today Wednesday, February 28.”

“The main paths and roads on campus have been cleared and gritted but people on campus should take extra care when walking or driving. All Trinity students in health sciences employed in a pre-registration capacity (and not students) should present for duty as normal or should make contact with their hospital”, they said. College will decide this evening whether to close tomorrow or not.

University College Dublin, Dublin City University and Dublin Institute of Technology have will all close their doors today as heavy snowfall fell last night, with more expected today. Strong winds are also expected today with temperatures dropping to below freezing.

The National Emergency Co-ordination Group has not issued widespread school or college closures yet. On Twitter this morning, the Minister for Education, Richard Burton, said that “decisions on school closures will be made locally by each school individually depending on the circumstances in their area, this includes schools in the red areas”, but that they will continue to monitor the situation.

The emergency group has said that the storm is expected to worsen on Thursday and Friday.

Met Éireann issued a Red Weather Warning for Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow this morning at 5am and this will remain in place until Thursday at 12pm.