Wicca, Chinese New Year Celebrations and Plastic-Free Parties: Week Ahead

It's a busy week, with musicals, Green Week and Chinese New Year running alongside the TCDSU elections.

Niamh Herbert Societies Editor
Eavan Mcloughlin for The University Times

This week on campus is Green Week! Trinity’s societies and Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) have lined up an exciting week of educational and engaging events to get everyone involved in making Trinity a greener campus.

Also this week, the Trinity Musical Theatre Society (TMT) will be premiering their production of Evita. After months of tireless work, the show will finally be hitting the stage this week and running from February 14th to 17th in the O’Reilly Hall of Belvedere College.

Monday

The Theology Society is delighted to host three of the leading practitioners of Wicca in Ireland as they explain exactly what Wicca is and how they practice it. It’s not every day that you get the opportunity to meet a user of magick, so don’t pass up the opportunity to see and listen to Wicca this Monday evening at 6pm in the University Philosophical Society Conversation Room of the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB).

Tuesday

Last month, Yuri Filatov, the Russian Ambassador to Ireland, was set to speak to the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA), but unfortunately had to cancel last-minute due to illness. But fear not! Filatov has rescheduled and is planning to speak to speak to SOFIA this Tuesday at 6.30pm in the Burke Theatre.

Wednesday

Trinity Japanese Society and the Trinity Animation Society are teaming up this Valentine’s Day to bring you a screening of Ouran Highschool Host Club. Along with the screening, there’ll be baked goods and tea available. Come along to the Global Room at 10am to start Valentine’s Day the right way.

Thursday

This Thursday from 12pm to 5pm, the Trinity Chinese Society will be celebrating the Chinese New Year in a day-long celebration in the Global Room. They will be doing the Chinese-time countdown at 4pm in the Global Room and then an Irish-time countdown later in the night in D2 at 12am to properly ring in the Chinese New Year.

Friday

At 12pm this Friday, DU Meditation and TCDSU will be hosting a special meditation session for Green Week. Become one with nature and learn to appreciate the environment this Friday at Room 50 in the Atrium.