Niamh Lynch Elected Trinity News Editor

She defeated Managing Editor Rory O’Neill in this evening's vote.

Aisling MarrenAssistant News Editor
TCDSU

Niamh Lynch has been elected Editor of Trinity News at the publication’s AGM this evening.

Lynch, the current Deputy Editor for the paper, defeated Managing Editor Rory O’Neill. Both candidates made a speech, which was followed by a brief question and answer session with those present. A secret ballot was then conducted amongst the Trinity News senior staff.

Lynch, speaking to The University Times, said she was “thrilled to be elected and really looking forward to bringing TN into the future and making it as good as it can possibly be”.

“I really enjoyed campaigning with Rory. He is a very close friend of mine and will go on and be very successful in journalism”, she said.

A third-year history and political science student, Lynch has been involved with Trinity News for the duration of her time in College, and served as News Editor for the paper last year. She was also this year’s Editor of Suas Magazine and is Alumni Officer of Trinity Publications.

One of Lynch’s biggest stories this year was a piece on claims of alleged sexual harassment by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) presidential candidate Sean Ryan. The Junior Dean later found that there was no case against Ryan. Lynch received strong criticism online from Ryan supporters after she broke the story and following the Junior Dean’s decision.

Lynch will replace incumbent Editor Michael Foley.