Bliss Out in the Light House, at Marathon Lord of the Rings Showing

The Light House Cinema is offering viewers the chance to watch all three Lord of the Rings movies over the weekend.

Tom JordanContributing Writer

Tomorrow, the Light House Cinema in Smithfield is offering one of the most played-out experiences that any successful indie cinema can: a movie marathon featuring an incredibly well-renowned franchise.

Fans of The Lord of the Rings franchise or any other similar franchise will be familiar with the concept. Essentially you watch the extended cuts of every film in a series back to back. Is it a test of stamina? A test of your love for the story and the lore? Or just the strangest endurance test you’ll ever come across?

Who can really say? But starting at 12pm, fans of The Lord of the Rings will descend on this inner-city cinema for 13 hours of watching ugly orcs, pretty elves and disgruntled dwarves as they hinder or help a cohort of four, tiny, hairy-footed hobbits.

Thirteen hours might seem like an insurmountable task, but the Light House does promise adequate breaks and a Middle-earth inspired menu. Odds on “Lembas bread” actually being Tesco brand shortbread wrapped in leaves? Or on ale being Pratsky served in a glass mug?

In all seriousness though, 13 hours of some of the most epic and beautiful storytelling and music that you will come across is a pretty enticing prospect. That being said, if three extended edition The Lord of the Rings movies in a row doesn’t seem like your cup of tea, you don’t have to watch them all. Tickets to each individual film are also on offer.

As of right now, tickets to watch Frodo Baggins and his band of (not so) merry men waywardly traipse across Middle-earth to destroy the One Ring and defeat evil in Middle-earth once and for all are looking very “precious” .

Tickets are priced at €10/11 for the individual films and €27 for the three-movie-long, 13-hour extravaganza. The event starts at 12pm on September 29th, and will continue long into the night. Tickets can be booked on the cinema’s website.