Fan Fiction, Harry Potter Quiz and the Colours Debate: Your Monday of Freshers’ Week

Molly Furey provides a shortlist of today's best freshers' week events.

Molly FureySocieties Editor
Guy Boggan for The University Times

The opening day of freshers’ week, whether as a first-timer or a returning veteran, will inevitably be an exciting, if not hectic, experience for most. Front Square is hardly navigable in its stall-packed state. Strangers are frantically waving society cards at you, and the map your S2S mentor just showed you could be upside down. With all this on your plate you might miss out on some of the finest events societies have organised for you, so we’ve put together a list of some of the most exciting and wacky events on today.

Wilde at Heart with Lit Soc

Join the Literary Society (Lit Soc) for a chance to channel your inner Oscar Wilde, as they join together to put a Wildean twist on popular slang in the Attic, House Six at 1pm. Wilde is best known for his quotes and what better way to celebrate his sharp wit than to flex your own! The group is picking words and writing witty definitions of them, be it “college student” or “spice bag” to “hun”.

Trinity takes on UCD in the annual Colours Debate

Stick around the GMB for 4pm when the Hist’s annual Trinity–UCD Colours Debate on whether or not “the road to Trinity is paved with notions”. The debate will decide whether it really is just the idyllic cobbled stones or the mysterious and fated campanile that draw students to Trinity or if it is in fact the finest university in the land. Be sure to secure a seat, avoid all eye contact with those UCD visitors and have your notions about you for what promises to be an entertaining debate.

Speakeasy with Comedy Soc and Lit Soc

Head over to Tramline for 7pm for a discussion that is sure to be engaging, humorous, and at times uncomfortable. The Literary Society join DU comedy to discuss “The Best and Worst of Fan Fiction” in their first speakeasy of the year. Fan fictions of the greats (My Immortal), to the not so great (Fifty Shades of Garfield) will be read, analysed and possibly etched into your memory forever. Go and guiltily enjoy these wild and wacky creations before embarking on a discussion challenging the true value of fan fiction with these Comedy and Literary masters!

Harry Potter Quiz with Quiz Soc

To bring the inaugural day of freshers’ week to a close, make your way over to JW Sweetman’s pub for 7.30pm to partake in what will certainly be an intense and impassioned Quiz Society event. The Harry Potter-themed quiz will reveal attendees’ true colours, be they Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or god forbid, Slytherin. Put all that stored away childhood knowledge to good use and maybe even win a prize!