Banner Dropped from House Six Ahead of Housing March

TCDSU hung a banner from a second-floor window in House Six this evening, facing onto College Green.

Aisling MarrenNews Editor
Donal MacNamee for The University Times

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) dropped a banner advocating homes for all at College Green this evening, as students and activists prepare to take to the streets tomorrow to march for better housing conditions.

The banner was hung from a second-floor window in House Six facing the street, allowing security and commuters a look ahead to tomorrow’s Raise the Roof march.

Speaking to The University Times, TCDSU President Shane de Ris said: “We’re doing this banner drop today to raise awareness for the Raise the Roof rally taking place tomorrow. TCDSU will be joining with other students from around the country with USI, with UCD, to march for action on the housing crisis.”

“Students are not immune to the housing crisis, and have seen the violence and harsh impact of the housing crisis. So this is to raise awareness for that, to raise awareness for the rally happening tomorrow and to raise awareness for the housing crisis because it’s homes for all”, he said.

Prior to the march, students will assemble in Front Square tomorrow at 11am, before marching to the Garden of Remembrance. They will then proceed to Leinster House, where a motion will be debated in the Dáil calling for legislation to ban evictions, as well as for increased investment in public housing in the upcoming budget.

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI), the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU), Take Back Trinity and TCDSU have all pledged their support to the Raise the Roof campaign, which is being run by the National Coalition for Housing and Homelessness.

USI is joining the march instead of hosting its annual March for Education, as the housing crisis sweeps the country.