Deer Spotting, Brexit and Disney: Your Week Ahead

To mark mental health week, take a walk in the Phoenix Park with Ag Soc to scout for deer.

Molly FureySocieties Editor

This week the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) is hosting mental health week in a bid to promote mental wellbeing and offer students a chance to destress. Thankfully, a number of society events have been organised to put this plan into action and provide students with ample opportunity to take a break and enjoy themselves. Whether it’s DU Agriculture Society’s (Ag Soc) walk through the Phoenix Park, or a chance to tie-dye t-shirts with Amnesty International, there is sure to be something for everyone, so take the chance to look after your mental health and have a good time.

Monday

As part of mental health week, Ag Soc will be holding a walk around the Phoenix Park. The group will be meeting at St James’s Hospital Luas stop at 5pm before setting off on a crisp stroll around the scenic park, where attendees will get an insight into deer care and rearing. Most importantly, the group promises a tea stop along the way! In the spirit of mental health week, the society is offering a great way to alleviate any stress and it’s a must-attend for any of you deer lovers out there.
Also this Monday, the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA) is hosting Brexit: The End Game. The event will kick off at 7pm in the Synge theatre, where the society will welcome Andrew Byrne, the EU correspondent for the Sunday Times. Byrne will delve into the nitty gritty questions surrounding current Brexit negotiations. With so many questions, concerns and possibilities being thrown around in the news, SOFIA’s event aims to allay such worries and talk about what to expect next.

Tuesday

If you’re looking for an opportunity to practice your oral French, look no further than Trinity’s very own French Society (French Soc), which is putting on its Get Frenched event this Tuesday. Taking place in room 4084 in the Arts Block at 2pm, the event will offer the chance to speak en français with some of the French Soc committee members. This is a weekly event designed to help any French students and lovers of the language to put their French chatting skills to the test and is a great way to boost your confidence in the language.

Wednesday

On Wednesday, Trinity’s Amnesty International society is hosting a t-shirt tie-dying event in the Pav from 2pm. T-shirts will be provided (although you are welcome to bring your own) and the group will show you how to create that desired colourful explosion. While the t-shirts dry, the society invites you to grab a drink and enjoy the sun (clouds if we’re being honest).

Thursday

Join Trinity’s VDP this Thursday evening for Disney Night, the first Panto fundraiser. The group asks that all attendees arrive decked out as their favourite, wackiest Disney character. The night will begin at the Pav at 7.30pm before moving on to Chaplains at 9pm. VDP’s much anticipated panto will be put on stage this February and all funds raised at this event will go towards its production. Tickets for the event are just €5 and can be bought on the door.

Friday

TCD Japanese Society and the Trinity Sci-Fi Society are joining forces this Friday for a night of Godzilla gossip and chat. Taking place at 6pm in the Bunker, Goldsmith Hall, the event is set to talk all things Godzilla, Japan’s most famous giant monster. Godzilla first appeared in 1954 and over the years has become an iconic figure in Japanese pop culture. Not only that, but the Godzilla franchise is the longest continuously running movie franchise of all time. The collaborative event hopes to give attendees a fuller history of the monster and its legacy.