Dun Laoghaire Hosts World-Class Animation Festival

This weekend, dive into the world of animated films at the Dublin Animation Film Festival.

Aaron FinneganFilm & TV Editor

Dublin Animation Film Festival celebrates its eighth year of existence in Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock. Taking place on October 26th and 27th, the festival aims to showcase the best in Irish animation talent, while also featuring some of the best and most acclaimed professional work of recent years.

The festival was first held in 2011 and saw only 45 entries from around Europe. It has since grown and has seen hundreds of entries from around the that hope to compete for one of the many prizes up for grabs over the festival’s two-day period. The festival will include prizes for Best Irish Film, Best Student Irish Film, Best Soundtrack and more.

The main draw of the event is a screening of Cartoon Saloon’s Oscar-nominated 2017 film The Breadwinner, directed by Nora Twomey and produced by Angelina Jolie. The film takes place in Afghanistan under the Taliban rule. Following the screening, the festival will host a questions-and-answers session with Cartoon Saloon’s Head of Animation Fabian Erlinghäuser. Erlinghäuser has over 18 years experience and served as animation director on The Breadwinner. He also worked on the company’s previous projects, The Secret of Kells, and Song of the Sea. The screening and Q&A will take place on Saturday, October 27th at 12pm.

The Dublin Animation Film Festival will take place in the Pavilion Theatre Dun Laoghaire, with ticket prices starting from €9.