Hist Team Win Irish Times Debate Final

Ronan Daly and Daniel Gilligan of the Hist won the final round of the competition, while a team from the Phil were runners-up in.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor
The Irish Times

Ronan Daly and Daniel Gilligan from the College Historical Society (the Hist) have won the final of the Irish Times debating competition this evening.

The University Philosophical Society’s (the Phil) team, made up of Harry Higgins and Rory O’Sullivan, came in second, with the King’s Inn’s Kevin Roche winning the individual speaker competition.

Participants debated the motion: “This house would rescind Ireland’s position of neutrality in favour of a European standing army.” The Phil and the Hist were both on the proposition.

The debate, which was held in UCD, was chaired by Fianna Fáil’s spokesperson for defence, Jack Chambers.

In Hist, in their semi-final, debated the motion: “This house regrets inviting the pope to Ireland.” The third semi-final was held on Saturday night.

Before progressing to the final, the Phil team debated the motion: “This house would commemorate the DNP and RIC men who died in the struggle for independence.”

Trinity was also represented at the competition last year, when Niamh Egleston and Rory O’Sullivan succeeding in reaching the final.

The Irish Times Debate is a prestigious national debating competition for third-level students, which aims to promote oratorical excellence. Overall winners receive the Demosthenes Trophy for best team speakers and the Christina Murphy Memorial Trophy is awarded to the best individual speaker.