In Close Race, McCay Elected Education Officer

After a narrowly contested race, Niamh McCay has been elected Education Officer.

Rachel O'LearyStaff Writer
Ben Morrison for The University Times

Niamh McCay has been elected Education Officer of Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU) on the second count.

In a dramatic finale to arguably the most contentious of races, third-year geography and politics student Niamh McCay narrowly defeated fourth-year physics and astrophysics student, Sally Anne McCarthy.

The results of a poll of 1,020 students conducted over four days, published by The University Times, saw McCay narrowly trailing with 48 per cent of the first preference vote, a mere 0.4 per cent behind McCarthy with 48.4 per cent of the vote.

Throughout the campaign period, McCay, the current Citizenship Officer of the union, was an enthusiastic candidate with a smiling presence at hustings and on the ground. Her manifesto points focused largely on reintroducing an Off-Campus Officer, introducing a grace period prior to exams and improving the standard of teaching materials.

As the incoming Education Officer, she will be expected to overcome the many challenges that the Trinity Education Project has so far presented.

Last year, incumbent TCDSU Education Officer Aimee Connolly was elected with 83 per cent of the vote in an uncontested race.