The University Times Launches Second Year of Journalism Access Programme

The transition-year programme aims to highlight the importance of journalism.

Jack SynnottDeputy News Editor
The Sunday Business Post's Colette Sexton spoke to students today.
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times

For the second year, The University Times today launched its work experience initiative, which sees dozens of transition-year students spend a week in Trinity learning about journalism, in partnership with the Trinity Access Programme (TAP).

The programme, which provides students with journalism work experience, is taking place this week.

The run-up to the programme sees journalists from The University Times visit 20 TAP-linked schools and speaking to thousands of students to raise awareness of the importance of journalism. Interested students then participate in the week-long programme of events and activities on campus.

Students today heard from Aoife-Grace Moore from the Press Association and Sunday Business Post journalist Colette Sexton on the first day of the programme. Later in the week, Irish Times journalist Jack Horgan-Jones, Times Ireland edition reporter Aaron Rogan and Sunday Business Post political correspondent Hugh O’Connell will appear.

Last year, students participated in a mock press conference with senator and former Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Lynn Ruane and Dublin City Councillor Gary Gannon.

In an email statement to The University Times, TAP project co-ordinator Dr Rónán Smith said: “We were all delighted here in TAP with our first collaboration with The University Times last year.”

“We are always looking for ways to expand the educational opportunities of young people in the schools we work with”, he said, “and the UT TY programme was a unique way of doing so”.

Smith added: “While there are a number of programmes in college dedicated to promoting STEM, this was the first opportunity we had to engage young people from underrepresented communities through journalism. It was is also the first TCD student-led transition year programme and has helped to create a successful template for further collaborations with student societies.”

“Many outreach activities, due to budget or time constraints often involve a single engagement with a small number of students. The UT took a more in depth approach”, he said.

“The impact this type of continuous engagement and encouragement can have on second level students considering their future choices should not be underestimated.”

The project was introduced during the tenure of former editor Dominic McGrath. Speaking to The University Times, Edmund Heaphy, a former editor of the paper and the programme’s director, said: “Teaching these kids about journalism and the role it plays in society is honestly one of the most fulfilling things I’ve done in my journalistic career.”

“I have long admired the pioneering work of the Trinity Access Programme”, he added, “and I’m grateful for their readiness to collaborate with us on it”.

Speaking to The University Times, the paper’s current editor, Eleanor O’Mahony, described working on the programme as a “hugely important and uplifting experience”.

“We hope the programme continues for many more years to come”, she said, “and that we inspire students to come to Trinity and get involved with the paper.”

“It’s a very enriching experience to be able to share our work with an audience beyond Trinity and to explain to students, in our talks, why it is we are so passionate about both journalism and the College”, she said.