Med Cup 2019 Promises Fun and Fierce Competition

Head down to the Sports Hall this weekend to watch BioSoc's lively football tournament.

Céire Carey Deputy Radius Editor

After kicking off the year with a well-attended book sale and a thought-provoking talk by Prof Aengus O’Marcaigh, Dublin University Biological Association (BioSoc) has a more active event in the pipeline.

On Saturday, September 28th, Trinity’s Sports Hall will host a lively football tournament called Med Cup from 10am to 4pm. A contest between different year groups, the tournament will be 11-a-side (with a minimum of two women playing at all times) and including unlimited subs in a day of heated competition. Entry for each player is €5, and the collected fee goes to Med Day.

Med Day is an organisation run by Trinity medical students. Annually, a fundraiser is held, seeing students reach out to the public to raise funds for essential hospital services in places like St James’s Hospital, Tallaght University Hospital and Harold’s Cross Hospice. Med Cup is just one of the ways that money is being raised. Over the past 16 years, more than €750,000 has been raised for new health services and medical equipment in Trinity-affiliated teaching hospitals.

The general inclusivity of the Med Cup tournament makes it a fun, alternative way to get involved, without the bother or messiness of a night out. Sport has the effect of bringing people together, and BioSoc suggests that those on the bench at least have the consolation of being on the team. To quote the event’s Facebook page: “Everyone in Trinity Med is a champ, that goes without saying.”

If Med Day isn’t saving the world, it’s at least doing its fair share. Inclusion in such an activity can only be positive and BioSoc’s fundraising event is a chance to have fun, too. After the champions are crowned, complimentary food at the Pav will be the reward, while celebrations may continue into the night.

Those who are interested in playing should know that while no metal studs are allowed as they ruin the pitch, plastic blades are okay. If none of that lights your fire, it might just be nice to watch. Every tournament needs a crowd.

Update: 21.16, September 26th, 2019
Since this piece was published, the venue of the Med Cup has been moved to the Sports Hall. The sub-heading and promo on the article have since been updated.