Trinity Unveils New Tropical Mural in Botany Building

The mural was drawn by London-based artist Josephine Hicks, and celebrates Trinity's link to Thailand.

Emma DonohoeScience & Research Correspondent
Ina Hresc for The University Times

Trinity today unveiled a tropical forest mural in its Botany Building, celebrating the historical botanical connection between the College and Thailand.

The mural, painted by London-based artist Josephine Hicks, links historic plant-hunting to tropical biodiversity and conservation research carried out in Trinity today.

In a press statement, Hicks said: “I wanted to create an immersive painting where you are surrounded by oversized leaves, fruits and flowers, which transports you to the rich, dark and dense tropical forest. It’s been a fascinating and highly inspirational project, and I have been introduced to extraordinary species in celebrating the diversity of the area.”

The species in the mural occur in the inland or coastal forests of Thailand. They include species close to extinction as well as common varieties. Most have been directly observed, studied and collected by Trinity botanists past and present, serving as a connection through time as well as across continents.

The murals celebrate the historic link between Trinity and Thailand.

Ina Hresc for The University Times

In a press statement, Jennifer McElwain, a professor of botany at Trinity, said: “Botanical art is enjoying a strong resurgence with fabrics, wallpapers and boutique hotels now adorned with lush palm leaf motifs and sepia-toned photographs from past expeditions.”

“Perhaps”, she said, “this interest stems from a need to connect with the natural world and a realisation that unsustainable development in many parts of the world, including Ireland, is threatening species survival and the unique ecosystems that they occupy”.

“Ireland’s government has declared a biodiversity and climate emergency in line with other nations and scientists are continuing their work to count, study and conserve the world’s species before the logging trucks roll in”, McElwain added. “Indeed, the recent fires in the Brazilian Amazon brought home the unrelenting pressure of development to our living rooms and Instagram feeds.”

In the 1900s, a Trinity medical graduate amassed huge botanical collections while travelling as a medical officer.

Ina Hresc for The University Times

Trinity’s Botany Department has been linked with Thailand since the early 1900s, when a Trinity medical graduate, AFG Kerr, amassed huge botanical collections while travelling in Thailand as a medical officer.

This work lead to Kerr earning the title “the Father of Thai Botany”, and the donation of part of his collection to Trinity. Further research on Thai plant systematics in Trinity in the 1980s furthered the relationship.

Today, the Botanical Department has become a focal point for the study of Thai flora.

Trinity’s Botanical Department has become a focal point for the study of Thai flora.

Ina Hresc for The University Times

“Trinity’s botanists have an important role to play in conducting high-impact research that can make a huge societal impact for current and future generations”, McElwain said.

“We hope the mural, which celebrates the process of science and the beauty of diversity, will act as an inspiration and reminder of that duty, underline the Botany Department’s historic and ongoing links with Thailand, and empower our students to make a difference for future climate and biodiversity.”

In 2014, HRH Princess Maha Chakri Srindhorn of Thailand opened the new square outside the botany building and planted a planted a specimen of Rhododendron arboreum brough from near Chiang Mai, Thailand.